Current "High Grade" (handmade) Kaywoodies?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joemelon

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had any opinions/experience with the newer "high grade" (handmade) Kaywoodies? I've never really had an interest in them before but one has recently caught my eye and has been on my mind for nearly a week, but I'd like to hear from some folks that have them.

A better question, or maybe a followup question, might be what would you compare the upper range of Kaywoodies to in quality (as far as say Italian, English or other American pipe companies/makers/carvers)?

I've had two and no longer do because they didn't fit my collection, but I liked them with reservations and here are my thoughts. First, there has been no movement out of upstate NY since the 2010 POY Zulu. I don't think these will ever be produced again.

They're a good value. I picked both of mine up on eBay unsmoked for $70-80. Both of mine were Bill Feuerbach POYs.

The stem. I'm not sure what they say the stem material is. It's not acrylic but it also doesn't feel like any vulcanite I ever smoked and every pipe I own that isn't a Castello has a vulcanite stem. I suspect they're using polyester rod for the stems and they may be molded as well. On the plus side, it's not rock hard like acrylic. On the downside, it feels like plastic. It also doesn't get a high shine after polishing the way vulcanite does. I always noticed the stem when I smoked these, and not in a good way. Still, better than acrylic IMO.

The blasts were deep and craggy, but appeared to be rushed or done via automation, like they were doing multiple pipes at once. One of mine had a nice craggy ring blast, but the other just looked like a machine did it. Sloppy looking.

They're big, at least the POYs are. Group 6 to ODA depending on shape.

I suspect the briar they used was green or improperly cured. Both of these Kaywoodie POYs had the quality of muting the flavor of what you were smoking, similar to what a dirty pipe does. Neither broke out of that while I owned them, and I took to smoking strong tobaccos in them to compensate.

For $80 like I spent I would wholeheartedly recommend these, as they're much nicer than anything at that price. At their intended selling price of $150-200 there are much nicer pipes to be had from the many fine Italian midgrade producers like Amorelli and Il Ceppo. Heck you can get a Ferndown for around $200, which is an excellent smoking pipe, and for $157 or so you could have a Trever Talbert Ligne Bretagne, which are probably the single best value under $300 right now. Also, think of the killer estate pipes that sell in that price range.

So overall grade from me is a good pipe at under $100, but over that and I think you can do better elsewhere. Hope this helps.

I have wanted one for a while, but I still haven't picked one up. I keep meaning to go to their holiday party but I haven't gotten to that yet either.

Thanks for the input, Sisyphus! When you say there's been no movement out of upstate NY since the 2010 POY Zulu, do you mean there hasn't been another POY since then or something else? Without having smoked one, I can definitely say that if I saw this pipe for $70-80 I would have snapped it up probably the day after I saw it. Being mid-$100 range, though, has me hesitant. What makes me a little less hesitant is seeing some of the POY pipes for sale new at plus or minus $200. Still, like you mentioned...there are so many other great pipes in that range, especially so in the estate area, that I'm not sure I want to risk it.

Dave, the holiday/slow smoke event they hold sure does sound like a good time.

Y'all know that Bill is on here from time to time?
I posted the 2012 event for him here on B.O.B.
Shall I have him contact you? PM me any questions or your e-mail and you shall have your answer(s) stright from Bill! :cheers:

I have to say, having a presence on a forum and interacting with folks is a definite plus to me as far as pipemakers go. Let me mull over what questions I may have and I'll send you a PM, Dover.

Dave_In_Philly":8bj6zozt said:
I have wanted one for a while, but I still haven't picked one up. I keep meaning to go to their holiday party but I haven't gotten to that yet either.
Bahhh!!! No excuses!!!!
There's always time for an afternoon / evening of pipes, adult beverages, and food!!! :p
A few fellas from Philly / South Jersey make their way up each year. Maybe a roadtrip is in order? :santa:

DoverPipes":ufprmdrb said:
Maybe a roadtrip is in order? :santa:
dance_outside.jpg

I have many Kaywoodie Handmade pipes that are recent production and they are IMHO the best bargain on any pipe available and mine smoke wonderfully. The stems are Hand Cut on the larger models and POY pipes. Go for it you can't go wrong. I won't part with any of mine, and if you can find some of the sandblasted pipes, they are incredible blasts, deep and craggy, many with ring grain.
:D

DoverPipes":4i9192am said:
Dave_In_Philly":4i9192am said:
Bahhh!!! No excuses!!!!
There's always time for an afternoon / evening of pipes, adult beverages, and food!!! :p
A few fellas from Philly / South Jersey make their way up each year. Maybe a roadtrip is in order? :santa:
I know, I truly have not excuse, I grew up pretty darn close and I'll be spending this coming weekend with my M-I-L who still lives about 20 minutes south of the factory. It's high on my list of to dos.

Let's get with it Dave. We would love to have you join us at the Kaywoodie Party. You attend one of those and you won't miss another!!
Doc

Thanks for the reply, Doc! I can't really tell from the pictures I've seen, but it looks like the bowls come pre-carbed. Is that right?

Some bowls are coated, some are virgin. Either way they are great pipes for the money. A coated bowl helps the caking process and also may cover a small sand pit or fissure. Usually the wall thickness on these pipes is very significant and I've never seen one burn out. Every collector/smoker has a preference, but I do not. If I like the pipe and the grain that's what counts to me personally. The final test is in the smoking qualities.
Andy

Thanks for the answers, Doc and Sisyphus. I do prefer the bowls left natural, but coating or not has never been a deciding factor when I've bought a pipe.

Well, I finally bit and placed the order. Can't wait to have this in my hand with fire burning:
kaywoodie20.jpg

Sorry I didn't message you any questions, Dover. I kept thinking about what I wanted to ask and realized quickly that none of them were really worth asking since they were so subjective.

AWESOME Joe,
That's a great Handmade Kaywoodie and I love the tortoise/amber colored stem. The Sandblast finish is spectacular, I'm sure it will prove to be one of your favorite smokers. Let us know once you break in that beauty. Congrats on a fine pipe.
:cheers: :cheers: