Curved drilling

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vaperfavour

Reaction score
I have a pipe in my colection a brebbia 1997 anniversary briar calabas with curved drilling. i love it. it smokes well and it passes a cleaner, no problem. can any one explain how in the world this is done??

A flexible shaft with a burr on the end is carried in a curved rigid tube. The hole is "pecked" since there are no flutes to carry away chips. Some makers have jigs, some, like Viprati, do it freehand. When I asked one Italian maker how it was done, he said, "piano, piano" (gently, gently).

Jack

I posted a drawing on another forum some time back. The drawing is from a book written by a French pipe maker about 20 years ago. Maybe it will help. This technique has long been referred to as a "drifted shank".

I can't figure out how to post an image here, so if someone can help, I will be glad to post the drawing.

Mike Hagley

hagley":bsrhpzbz said:
[Do you also have the book, or did you get the drawing off another site ?
I don't have the book, but I got the picture from the book of a friend, Alain Letulier, the president of the Pipe Club of France.

Best,
Erwin

I visited the shop of Guyot many times when I lived in Paris. I believe that the shop was over 100 years old. They made pipes and sold the pipes of other makers.

The last time I was in the store I purchased several pipes, and Monsieur Guyot gave me a copy of the book, which he had written.

I returned to the US in 1995, and when I visited Paris in 1996, the shop had closed. Someone in the US had bought the business, took all the machinery and store stock, and then closed the shop.

That is quite sad.

Mike Hagley

hagley":jmzvsm7b said:
I returned to the US in 1995, and when I visited Paris in 1996, the shop had closed. Someone in the US had bought the business, took all the machinery and store stock, and then closed the shop.

That is quite sad.

Mike Hagley
Think of it as something finally being outsourced to the US. :D