"custom blends"

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark

Reaction score
Since I'm just getting back into smoking pipes, I've sent for samples from many places, all aromatics. Some from the major bulk suppliers like altadis and lane, also quite a few from pipe shops with their own blends. What I've found is the pipe shop custom blends are the bulk tobaccos with an imaginative new name. My favorite tobacco shop closed, but I called the retired gentleman and discussed this with him. After some hemming and hawing he agreed with my observation and stated 75% of the tobacco he sold was bulk repackaged and other shops did likewise for economic reasons. I'm thinking it's time to dump all this wet goo and purchase some top grade smoke. The boswell penslyvania dutch treat is a pleasure to smoke but the rest of my samples all seem gooey generic bulks. Maybe tobaccos in tins is the way to go as not too many chiefs have been in the kitchen. I'd love to get in on the tobacco box swap, but until then any suggestions appreciated.

Have you checked out Cornell and Diehl yet? They're custom blenders located in North Carolina. They offer sampler packs and also visit most pipe shows where you can look, sniff and sample their tobaccos. Their website is: C&D

Jim

just spent some time drooling on the c&d site. I'll send for some samplers after the holiday. I gave up on the tobacco reviews, everyone has such different opinions, like "walnut" (right JUSTPIPES?) I'll just sample and pass the ones that don't appeal to me. Thanks for getting me started, have a great fourth!

mark":bcfknktx said:
I gave up on the tobacco reviews, everyone has such different opinions, like "walnut" (right JUSTPIPES?) I'll just sample and pass the ones that don't appeal to me. Thanks for getting me started, have a great fourth!
Walnut is a fine blend Mark. Many here smoke it. I will gladly send you a sample if you would like. What can you say about a blend that has been on the market since 1856 and still going strong. That speaks for itself. The bottom line is, "smoke what you like and like what you smoke!".

If you are dead set on aromatics, C&D do have some very fine aromatics and cross over blends as Ol'Dawg stated.

JP.. Theres still dirty diapers after thousands of years...That doesn't mean anyone likes 'em.

I almost missed this thread because of the title.. I thought it was going to be about mixing 50% of such and such and 25% of this and that and some how coming up with something superior to what the pro's can...

As for the Premium Blenders ( I think thats what you actually mean)

Cornell & Diehl, http://www.cornellanddiehl.com/ has some wonderful blends.. I have liked almost everyone I've tried.. They also produce GL Pease and Hermit both worth looking into.

McClelland and Sam Gawith make some good stuff too.

I like www.smokingpipes.com as an e talier. They have very reasonable pricing and a decent 'free shipping' policy.

If I knew more of what you liked I could make some better suggestions

puros_bran":bt7we92i said:
I almost missed this thread because of the title.. I thought it was going to be about mixing 50% of such and such and 25% of this and that and some how coming up with something superior to what the pro's can...
I agree with the idea behind the post but hasten to point out kind sir, that the "pro's" started out doing exactly that.
:pipe:

Actually I doubt it....

I can not envision GL Pease or Mr McNeil ever mixing 50/50 pa/ch...... I hold in my mind that they started from the beginning mixing raw components, not messing up other blenders blends.. I may be wrong but it would take them telling me I'm wrong.. :p :p :p

puros_bran":b4hi0rtk said:
Actually I doubt it....

I can not envision GL Pease or Mr McNeil ever mixing 50/50 pa/ch...... I hold in my mind that they started from the beginning mixing raw components, not messing up other blenders blends.. I may be wrong but it would take them telling me I'm wrong.. :p :p :p
Oh, I will agree with you there. I am not at all sure PA or CH were involved. However, 50% of such and such and 25% of this and that had to have been there somewhere. Sorry for the confusion.
:pipe:

Mark,

If you PM me your address I have some C&D aromatics I can send for you to try.

-Jeff

I've been smoking a home blended tobacco I got from another site and I'm finding it's being marketed by 4noggins. But it's a 50/50 mix of Carter Hall and Walgreen's Golden Burley. The commercial name is Moe's Confetti. You can buy it off the site or mix it yourself. If you can't find Golden Burley or a Walgreen's any bulk lightly sweetened burley will do.
Ya might try BLWB. Pretty reasonable blend at about a dollar an oz. Carter Hall is about 2 bucks a pack and the burley is 8 or 9 dollars for a lb.

Funn :pipe: