Custom Meerschaum Pipes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Feazelle-n-it

Reaction score
Just to start off I want everyone to know that I love Meerschaum pipes. I first picked one up in 2004 when my ship (I was in the US Navy) pulled into Aksaz Naval Base, Turkey. I knew nothing about pipes at the time but it had a really unique snarling wolf's head design that I had never seen before or since. When I returned home I gave the pipe to my Dad (unsmoked) because at the time I was strictly cigarettes and cigars. Long story short I smoked it once with him but I don't remember much else.

Skip ahead 10 years. About two months ago I decided to pick up pipe smoking and ditch the cigarettes (still got cigars). I purchased my first pipe from FloggleWerks, a Myrtle wood churchwarden. I like it and I continue to smoke it but one evening my Dad and I were sitting around the camp fire and we light up our bowls. He lights up his meer and I my churchwarden. The bowl on his is about 3/4" deeper so naturally I finished first. While we were just kicking back he hands me his pipe and says finish the rest. I started puffing on it and even though we had the same tobacco the flavor from his pipe was much more vibrant. I was amazed at how much better the tobacco tasted. That sealed the deal for me. The next day I went online and bought two for myself. Not nearly the beauty of his and double the price, but I don't have direct access to the source now either.

I now have my churchwarden, an old briar that was my grandpa's, and about seven meers of all shapes and sizes. I love the uniqueness of some of the pipes as well as the way they smoke. I haven't posted any pictures at this point but I'm going to start now. One of the pipe makers I ordered from included a letter with his pipe stating that he does custom orders. I thought to myself "That'll cost an arm AND a leg". I couldn't be further from the truth. I had scoured the internet looking for a Raven pipe (HUGE Baltimore Ravens fan). None to be seen.  I emailed Bahri Tuner ([email protected]) about making one and he jumped at the chance. He said he would work on it, send me pictures of the finished product and let me know the price. All he had to go on was a picture I found online and he knocked it out of the park!! I couldn't believe the quality and detail. What I really couldn't believe was the price. $90 total including shipping from Turkey. I really can't sing Bahri's praises enough. I already have one of his pipes and it smokes like a dream. The Raven pipe is on its way now but here are the pictures he sent me.

Are there any other meer lovers out there? What are your thoughts about meer vs. briar/other? I'd love to see more pictures if anyone is willing to share. Thanks for reading and I look forward to the replies.

img_4515.jpg
" />
img_4516.jpg
" />
img_4517.jpg
" />
img_4518.jpg
" />
img_4519.jpg
" />

By the way. His store is www.meerschaumpipemaster.net and his prices are really reasonable, if not cheapest, especially for the quality. Give it a look and I hope that those of you who have never tried meerschaum will give it a shot.

I don't own any meers but I do find myself checking them out more and more these days. When it comes to pipes, I'm pretty 'boring', I don't do freehands and I'm not much for the more aberrant shapes out there (basically the whole non factory danish school). To me, beauty comes from the perfectly executed and balanced billiard accented by an incredible blast or enhanced by some killer silver work.

That all goes out the window with meers. Something about the material lends itself to an 'old world' feel that in my opinion allows for pretty much anything. I love the stem on your pipe, in fact I'd say that type of amber is almost a requirement on a meer. The more fanciful the carving, the better. I've also had it in mind for a while to find a carver to do a custom meer tamper for me.

I was looking around trying to find an image of approximatly what I've been looking at when I came across this. Turns out simple and boring works for meerschaum as well:

cl101.jpg

Yes, even the simple and boring ones are beautiful. Check out Tuner's site. He has a lot of classic pipes too.

[quote

Are there any other meer lovers out there? What are your thoughts about meer vs. briar/other? I'd love to see more pictures if anyone is willing to share. Thanks for reading and I look forward to the replies.
[/quote]

I have 4 meers, two Eagle Claws, one with the head of Thomas Jefferson on the bowl and the only one I have a pic of, my Altinok Bachus head . I got the first three back in the '70s and the Bachus this past year. Due to their fragility, I ONLY smoke 'em inside while sitting when I can focus on JUST SMOKING!! I concur with the fact that they let a truer sense of a blends flavors in the smoke and love 'em dearly but they would not be my choice for an ONLY pipe to smoke !! :twisted: :twisted: BTW ILIKE your Raven!! He got it right ! :bounce: :bounce:

Nice pipe!! I agree about their fragility and not being the only thing to smoke. My briar I love for sentimental reasons but it does smoke very well. I know its a cheap pipe because my grandpa was a practical man and a farmer so he never spent much on any pipe. My flogglewerks myrtle wood is still breaking in but I love it for the look and uniqueness (avatar picture). I will be getting more pipes, but I think my meers are my favorite.