Custombilt pipes by Tracey Mincer

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigpoppa

Reaction score
Anyone here have any Custombilt pipes? I really like these pipes. They are huge but surprising light and smoke very cool.

[Suddenly, much later...] Yeah, Bigpoppa, I just recently stole, I mean purchased, one on eBay. Why, you may ask? Because I like the way it looks. And the size (6 x 2) is my favorite for a billiard. I have not smoked it yet because I am attempting to rid it of an aromatic ghost scent that I don't care for at all, but I shall partake quite soon. Hope it as good as many have claimed these pipes to be. I don't care for every Custombilt I have ever seen, but this one seduced me. Love the rustication. Wish more makers had the cajones to make something like this. It seems like a very practical way to utilize briar blocks that reveal a flaw in an otherwise good piece of wood. Here's a pic if I can remember how to do it:
custom15.jpg

I am told that Tracy was from here in Indianapolis and used a grinder quite extensively in his carving :lol!:

That's a no-nonsense pipe, Richard. The right-angle to the bowl and shank says "business." The rustication says "grizzly." It's awesome. 8)

1) can you still purchase Bill Unger's book on Custombilts?

2) if not 1), then can anyone send me the digital PDF Unger once sold via email?

I'm looking to read this book. Hardcopy. Digital. Whatever it takes. Please PM me. I would so appreciate it.

WOW, I currently have 4, I honestly love these pipes , there a big chunk of wood,but they smoke well ! Most of the ones I purchased decades ago. I believe all of mine are from the 1950`s and I will never part with these.