Custombilt

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stinger4me

Reaction score
I saw some Custombilt pipe images and they were similar to Kaywoodie Hand Made Pipes of the 40's and 50's. Has anyone else noticed this? I have never had a Custombilt but they look to be pretty nice.

I have one and a Mr. Dobbs sub brand. Very thick walled cool smokers, but you could probably infer that. They do look very much like the Kaywoodies, though I don't own one of those. The drilling on my Custombilts are spot on and the stem material is very user friendly.

AW

My grandfather and uncles smoked them. They definitely have a look, one I like. I have exactly one, but it smokes like crap. Judging by others' commentaries, either mine is an anomaly or I'm doing it wrong. The consensus seems to be that they're pretty good smokers, and their prices remain reasonable.

I have one Custombuilt. An oom Paul. It's well drilled, fit is perfect, but it's a marathon pipe. If I fire it up its gonna be at least 2 hours. Needless to say it doesn't get used a lot. I've never really looked at them in comparison to Kaywoodies so I can't comment on that.

Jim

No Custombilt pipes here, I have several of the Kaywoodie Hand Made pipes and they are good pipes. Not sure I will look for a Custombilt but at this age it isn't out of the question. I think the Hand Made pipes I have date from the late 40's. Thanks for all of the information.

Stinger

Had one gave it away. Use to be able to pick'em up for about $15-$25..........now everyone wants one it seems and there going for stupid money, go figure.

I own a Custombilt and Kaywoodie hand made/carved chubby pot. Both have extremely thick walls and very well made. The Custombilt is one that Tracy Mincer made so I'm kind of partial to HIS pipes. I also own 2 other Tracy Mincer Custombilt pipes that I rarely smoke, one is an outstanding Oom Paul pipe.  I also prefer the way Mr Mincer carved his pipes much better then the Kaywoodie hand made/carved pipes. All of my Custombilt pipes have the draft hole drilled spot on!! Tracy Mincer was an outstanding pipe maker in my opinion, that is if you were lucky enough to get a pipe that was crafted by Mr Mincer.
Now let's get back to the Kaywoodie pot, it's a beauty to look at after I restored this pipe to like new condition. The nomenclature is extremely crisp but in all honesty, I'm NOT a fan of the Drinkless stingers. So, it's really not a good smoker at all. I know it would smoke much better if I cut part of the stinger off but I have a friend who likes the pipe and one day I will gift it to him and I know he would prefer it kept original.
When I sit both chubby pot pipes side by side you can definitely see a resemblance.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

The Kaywoodies I have have been modified. I never had much luck with the stingers so they have gone by the wayside. The 1/8th bent even has a new stem from Norwood's. He did a great job and works better these days. All of the pipes were un-smoked when I inherited them and I do enjoy smoking them. Thanks for all of the information you provided.

Stinger

Custombilt pipes are fantastic,big,solid pipe,holds a ton of tobacco and never gets hot,all 4 of mine were made in the 50`s,when things were made with pride...
Ez