Cut the grass

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corncobcon

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
Several days ago I got the lawn mowers ready to use. Today, the wife and I cut the grass for the first time this season. Half way through, the Husquevarna mower my wife was using stopped working. I took it in the garage to work on it and found the throttle cable is hooked to a spring that broke, rendering the all wheel drive system useless! So, I let her use the ten year old Toro self-propelled mower to finish! I then put the battery from my Cub Cadet rider on the charger and tomorrow I'll use it to finish the front yard. I have a feeling it's going to be a long season for mowing grass!

Hey Conrad,

We're now almost in Apr and I still haven't cut our lawns. The winter is dragging this year in Blighty. I've driven across to Snowdonia again today to spend easter with the Outlaws and there's still snow on the ground. It'll come.

Here in Central CT, I’m seeing green shoots, but I’m also seeing snow in the steenkin forecast. It’s unlikely it will hang around long enough to shovel. And we’re having a new deck built out of those no-maintenance Trax materials. I can’t wait to get out there with me pip and a wee drop, watching the sun go down.

14 degrees and I had to run my snowblower this morning, be a while before it’s time to cut grass here

I remember those days far to well. When I was growing up in Texas we had 5 acres 3 of which were mowable. One push mower that we replaced every 3-5 years depending on how good a crop of bluebonnets we got for the year Lol. Nothing like 2 1/2acted of blooming bluebonnets. Miss that place but I sure Don't miss the heat, humidity, scorpions and rattle snakes. Best of luck getting yours finished soon.

Jim

Folks who enjoy mowing lawn are some of the strangest people to me. It's completely lost on me.

Where I live now I have to mow my lawn twice a year on average. Last two years it was just once each year. Got mostly moss and straggly grass that doesn't seem to grow much as I'm surrounded by big firs. Don't get much sun, but suits me fine.

One place I lived back in cheesehead land was a rather large property. Took several hours with a mower that had no self propelling. In the heat and humidity it was brutal. And the damn grass needed mowing every week too. Don't miss that routine at all.

Where I'm headed there won't be any grass to cut! ;)

Cheers,

RR

Zeno Marx":yf1z32hu said:
Folks who enjoy mowing lawn are some of the strangest people to me.  It's completely lost on me.

Strange?:twisted: Well, at least when the weather turns better and I get the riding mower battery charged up, I can ride around cutting grass, smoking my pipe!!
:p :lol:

Corncobcon":8r4fjurb said:
Zeno Marx":8r4fjurb said:
Folks who enjoy mowing lawn are some of the strangest people to me.  It's completely lost on me.

Strange?:twisted: Well, at least when the weather turns better and I get the riding mower battery charged up, I can ride around cutting grass, smoking my pipe!!
:p :lol:
I can do a lot of things smoking a pipe that doesn't involve 90db of noise.

for me its the smell the work is a mans work and i love working on eqipment and sweating. but thats not.for all.

I've been trying to ignore the steadily growing grass in my yard for a couple of weeks now.

I have had to mow every other week all through the winter, but that's California for you... :sunny:

arkansaspiper":85cn9kc2 said:
for me its the smell the work is a mans work and i love working on eqipment and sweating. but thats not.for all.
I'd sooner order up a pallet of bricks and then proceed, once a week, to move them from one side of the yard back to the other, over and over again. To me, that's what mowing lawn is: senseless work. Whoever came up with lawns (probably the rich on huge British aristocrat estates) was a real a$$hole. Whoever set that wheel in motion deserves a confirmed spot in hell.

Grass? Is that's what's under all of the white stuff I'm still looking at?

This morning I woke up to 5” of new white stuff. Twelve hours later it’s almost completely melted. Perfect snowperson material while it lasted. It did, however, prevent the completion of my new Trex deck. But I went out there with my Charatan tomato filled with a DIY blend of McC 5100, 5105 and Perique that been waiting patiently in the cellar since 2002. So I do not count the day as lost. Not at all.

KevinM":4hq4i5ln said:
This morning I woke up to 5” of new white stuff. Twelve hours later it’s almost completely melted. Perfect snowperson material while it lasted.  It did, however, prevent the completion of my new Trex deck. But I went out there with my Charatan tomato filled with a DIY blend of McC 5100, 5105 and Perique that been waiting patiently in the cellar since 2002. So I do not count the day as lost. Not at all.
Neither would I... Nice smoke!