Cutting my own hairs...yup, all of ‘em!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
My barber shop (see photo below...my guy is the furthest back) is kinda famous.  All I had to do was google “old Oregon City barber shop” and up it popped. But they have a big sign in the window about being closed temporarily.  And yet, my hair continues its inexorable growth.  So...it was time to get a clipper and do the home haircut thing.

After a brief but intense research process I picked the Oster Fast Feed clipper.  Not cheap, but nothing of good quality is anymore.

I typically let my hair grow until I just can’t stand it.  Then I rush down our hill to get it cut.  $17 for a cut.  $20 on Saturday or for a flat top.  What feels best is getting it ALL whacked.  My guy uses a #2 guard which is 1/4”...your basic buzz cut.  So...I can do a buzz cut...right?  Piece of cake.  If anyone wants I’ll try to do some kind of before and after thing.

Til then, check out the pics below.  

Anyone else out there cut their own hair?

Yup. I've been cutting my own hair for a few years now. Got me a Whal with all the accessories. Used to do a #4 but now do a #1 on the noggin every 2 weeks. Almost right down to the bone. Good for the hot weather we have here in Arid-Zona. Use #4 for the goat. Took a little practice to get the back of the head with using a hand held mirror while looking in the big mirror but it does just fine now that I've got the hang of it. Saves a lot of dinero compared to the barbershop.

Cheers,

RR

I've recently, as in last week, noticed videos on youtube popping up in recommendations of girlfriends/wives cutting their mans hair. There was also a tutorial on a giving a fade by an actual hair stylist. Gotta be many.

I do my own head with such buzzers, but I don't have to have any skill. Every 8 weeks or so, I buzz it all down to stubble.

Yup...a ba-zillion tutorials out there.  Some really fun ones where guys with hair down to their belt get it whacked for a super high fade and pompadour.  There are some cutters out there with serious skills.

Me?  I paid a nice guy $20 to do a simple #2 buzz.  I don’t like taking his income away but so long as they’re closed there’s no other option.

One of the reviews on the Oster I ordered had a thing re ceramic cutting blades for it...and using different combs (the ones that attach to the clipper).  Both made by Andis.  The guides they recommended are attached with two rare earth magnets and you can get a set with 7 close combs or a set with 2 not close ones.  The ceramic blades come as fine, medium & coarse.  You supposed to use the coarse one.

It’s funny...most of the places that sell these things are pet supply places.  Woof.

I've been cutting my own Barnett for several years starting from when I started to develop a sun roof. I plumped for a decent set of Whal's. Probably had them for 7 years now and they've not missed a beat. I occasionally pop the blade out and sharpen it on a stone, other than that it takes no maintenance. A haircut here in the UK typically costs a dapper chap like myself (ahem) £10. The clippers cost me £18. No brainer.

It's a grade 1 for me with a 0.5 up the back and sides. I then pop the guard off, put it on the lowest setting and feather in my sidies and back down to the wood. I do this all by feel and listening to the clippers; when the crackling stops I move on.

I must say though, I do miss sitting in the chair and having a crack with a good barber.

I should have mentioned this in my first post, but since Blackhorse touched on it. Yep, the best quality ones, and I believe with the most options of buzzers, are at pet supply stores. I've had mine since the early 90s. The base level of Oster that came with scissors, comb, 4 level guides, clipper brush, and plastic carrying case. Less than $20. Up until a couple years ago, I shaved both my head and face down to stubble every two months or so. Now I wet shave my face and only buzz my noggin. I have never sharpened the blades. However, I have adjusted the blades to the right/left and up/down. That adjustment can help a lot, both in cutting hair and in not cutting skin. I did yank the cord out of the base a couple years ago. I thought it was ruined. After shopping around for a couple days, I realized I would have to pay A LOT to replace it with equal quality, and even then, I wasn't in the mood to fart around with trying them, returning them, etc. So I had someone open it up and fix the cord connexion. I've meant to buy a backup on ebay ever since. I'm going to buy a used, exact model and hopefully same era. Maybe if you guys buy a new one and like the performance, I won't have to do that. Until I hear from someone not faking a review on Amazon or wherever, I'm still doubtful about any new buzzer.

The old ones, like from the 70s and maybe 80s, are LOUD. So loud that it wouldn't be out of the question to wear ear plugs when using them.

* IMPORTANT: keep them oiled. I recommend blowing out and brushing the teeth area (especially behind them) after every use, and keep them well oiled. I use a basic household all-purpose turbine oil, like Zoom with the telescopic spout. $2-3.

Manufacturers of modern clippers call for a drop of oil on the left and right end of the cutter and one in the middle...while the blade is running...both before and after use. Also...there are lots of vids out there about how to “zero gap” the blades. This refers to setting the cutting blade very close to but not beyond the other blade...or it’ll act kinda like a chainsaw on somebody’s scalp. Ouch! I assume that adjusting is a fairly rare need. Once they’re set they should be OK for a pretty long time...right?

Once a year? They move around easier than you think, but mine has a plastic housing. I never crank down the setting screws too tightly in fear of stripping the threads. I'm sure that's why I find myself messing with it.

Been using my Whal for ~ 4 yrs now and have never had to adjust or sharpen the blades. It sees action every 2 weeks and doesn't tug or pull. In fact I only just oiled it for the very first time about a month ago (oops). Seems to be a pretty idiot-proof device and I need all the help I can get! ;)

Cheers,

RR

Yep, the best quality clippers, and I believe with the most options of buzzers, are at pet supply stores.
I've been cutting my own hair since 1981. The best, most powerful and noisiest clipper I own is a Wahl professional pet clipper, now over 40 years old. I bought the Oster Fast Feed, pictured above, thinking to upgrade to a human clipper, but it's only plus compared to the Wahl is that it's very quiet.
As my joints are getting less limber in older age, I'm finding the electric cords to be problematic.
Yesterday, there was a special on this cordless at Amazon for $20.00, half of regular price. I hope it works as well as the doggie clipper.

Wow, I must be the exception on here. Been cutting my own hair for probably 20+ years and have never used a clipper. Just cut the back, feather it with a razor, and trim over the ears, all with scissors. But then I'm not that picky about how my hair looks, lol.

My barber still only charges $10. But he's my dad's age. Not sure how many more years he's got.

When Nonie had to give up the Poodle Parlor after 50+ years, I always meant to talk her out of one of the Oster's she had. Dad and step-mom had already cleaned it out.

I do wack at ummm..butcher mine with scissors and a cheap electric clipper occasionally. I am much better at trimming dogs.

I have no idea what attachment # I use, or if it's the same one each time. I clip the attachment on and run it over my head. I do remove it to trim my neck, which has hair that looks more like pubic hair than head hair.

Ah, the ol' neckbeard. I have a fair amount on both front and back. While I wet shave my face and buzz my head, I use an electric razor every three days to do my neck. With the aid of a second mirror, it's a quick exercise to keep a straight line. But if I wait even four days, it takes at least twice as long. I remember my grandparents having one of those expandable wall mirrors in their bathroom, and I couldn't figure out why they had a mirror on the other side of the room from the vanity...until I was old enough to shave. Weirdest damn thing until you realize the use. When I'm away from home, I have a handheld for it.
https://www.amazon.com/Jerdon-JP202...993YJ?ref_=ws_cp_147a68e77b9fa342c6be_p_4_t_p