CVS-CAREMARK NO LONGER SELLING TOBACCO PRODUCTS

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
“CVS Caremark believes that now is the time for retailers, perhaps spurred by policy makers, to eliminate sales of cigarettes and other tobacco products by institutions that also have pharmacies,”

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2014/02/cvs-caremark-tobacco-cigarette-sales-103145.html#ixzz2sSOUW7kN

This really pissed me off. If CVS wants to eliminate the sale of tobacco products, fine. Private company, so it's their choice. Lobbying for policy makers to force other pharmacies to follow suit, however, is a different matter entirely.

Once, just once, could we not be the whipping boy around here! :x 

Ocelot55":q6d60qzq said:
“CVS Caremark believes that now is the time for retailers, perhaps spurred by policy makers, to eliminate sales of cigarettes and other tobacco products by institutions that also have pharmacies,”

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2014/02/cvs-caremark-tobacco-cigarette-sales-103145.html#ixzz2sSOUW7kN

This really pissed me off. If CVS wants to eliminate the sale of tobacco products, fine. Private company, so it's their choice. Lobbying for policy makers to force other pharmacies to follow suit, however, is a different matter entirely.

Once, just once, could we not be the whipping boy around here! :x 
Looks like it's just a CMA move by them. There probably afraid of people boycotting them because of the non tobacco sale and going to another for there tobacco and pharmaceuticals. If all went no tobacco there would be no one to boycott.

The American "drugstore" is a retail whorehouse, hardly what the Brits call a "chemist's." I haven't bought a tobacco product in one in decades, and I'm surprised that anyone does, what with the prices, stale product, and under-the-counter presentation. I suspect that diminishing sales figures are the real driver here, aligned with an opportunity for their p.r. wing to strike a pose as moral colossi.

Richard Burley":upwhuc90 said:
The American "drugstore" is a retail whorehouse, hardly what the Brits call a "chemist's."  I haven't bought a tobacco product in one in decades, and I'm surprised that anyone does, what with the prices, stale product, and under-the-counter presentation.  I suspect that diminishing sales figures are the real driver here, aligned with an opportunity for their p.r. wing to strike a pose as moral colossi.
Very intuitive! Something I hadn't thought of...

Ocelot55":v2qf6wbe said:

Word.

Totally agree.

MisterE":d3mzqdeb said:
Ocelot55":d3mzqdeb said:

Word.

Totally agree.
In spades. Gotta love it when what one might consider "free market" reps, if one lives in a vacuum, run to Washington for a little legi-lingus.

It's quite possible, even likely, that the "bottom line"  actually is the bottom line in the decision to discontinue CVS's tobacco sales. Giving it a "health concern" spin garners brownie points in Washington, which will help if a corporate bailout ever becomes necessary. :lol!: It is unfortunate that a PR spin might actually evolve into an overall policy. BS sez me.

Richard Burley":c15y4gpi said:
legi-lingus.  

You deserve an award for that word, whether you coined it or not. If you invented it, I'll gladly vote for you in any political office which you care to run for.
I also think your earlier observation is spot on. Just a bunch of corporate whores making financially based decisions and taking the opportunity to croon about what a gift to mankind they are.

RAlden":zba9qmc5 said:
Richard Burley":zba9qmc5 said:
legi-lingus.  

You deserve an award for that word, whether you coined it or not.  
Alas, I can't claim credit.  I stole it from from a chalk-board in a car dealership meeting room years ago.  It was written by the service manager, who was also a novelist.  God knows what that particular meeting was about.  But whatever it was, mutatis mutandis, I think it applies here.  For those who "get" it, it's an amusing word, evoking strange imagery.

:lol: 

The only tobacco products I ever buy at CVS are De Nobili cigars (what can I say? I like 'em). So I don't really care whether they will sell tobacco or not. The whole "we're doing this for public health" strikes me as posturing. It'll be interesting to see whether the competition (1) follows suit, or (2) positions itself as an alternative where folks can still get their smokes.

Colour me the proverbial bemused bystander. As Richard has pointed out CVS is a toilet.  :sleep: 

Richard Burley":r85xl83d said:
 I stole it from from a chalk-board in a car dealership meeting room years ago.  It was written by the service manager 
Then your award shall read, " For the Meritorious Extraction of Gold from Mountains of Bull Manure ". Good work Sir.

I guess this means you can't pick up a carton of Virginia Slims with your Almond Roca and box wine.

"Of the $130 billion in goods CVS expects to sell this year, about $2 billion will be tobacco products. On Wednesday, investors knocked down CVS shares by 1 percent, while rewarding Walgreens, which saw its stock rise 3.4 percent."

RAlden":b8r5eqr3 said:
"Of the $130 billion in goods CVS expects to sell this year, about $2 billion will be tobacco products. On Wednesday, investors knocked down CVS shares by 1 percent, while rewarding Walgreens, which saw its stock rise 3.4 percent."
As Bertolt Brecht wrote: "...Money makes the world go 'round....." and it's what drives ALL their decisions or better be if they want to keep happy SHAREHOLDERS  :twisted:  :twisted: 

monbla256":p2st82hq said:
RAlden":p2st82hq said:
As Bertolt Brecht wrote: "...Money makes the world go 'round....." and it's what drives ALL their decisions or better be if they want to keep happy SHAREHOLDERS   :twisted:  :twisted: 
I'm sure they expect to replace that 2 billion with a larger amount, one way or another. I expect the new revenues will have the gubments name on the check somewhere.

Well with any luck they will cut their own throats, I have heard no one complain about selling tobacco products in a drug store, guess the went out and hired one of those all book "larned" MBA's. The type that does not know his/her ass from a hole in the ground. What is the world coming too It is a crime to smoke, it is a crime to drink, it is a crime to have sexual relations(Male to Female) that is. But it is ok to give meth to little kids, commit mass murder, and vote for some of these dumbass people in congress. Why can't they just leave it alone! Makes you want to move further back in the woods :face: