D&R blends for RYO

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
Picked up a bunch of Daughters and Ryan blends from a couple of vendors to use for very short outside jaunts as a RYO (but not inhaled) smoke.

The RYO thing is the DIY qualifier here.  lol

Got these:

Ramback Regular (Oriental/Turkish)
Rimbouche SJ (VaPer)
Rimbouche AP (Va/Per)
Two Timer (Burley)
Ryback (Burley, Kentucky, VA)
Don Giovanni Sigaro (leaf from Indonesia, Ecuador, Brazil and Nicaragua)
Cockstrong (Burley, Oriental/Turkish, VA)
Piccayune (Burley, Oriental/Turkish, Perique, Virginia)

Got some Gawith fine cut blends hangin' around if I feel like perking any of these up...N-wise.

There, that sounds like an interesting project to keep me...um, interested. Whatever.

Looking over the review site we have at least one member that's tried 'em all...Jim, what's yer favorite here?

While we're at it:

I know that D&R are popular as RYO, but have been told that some come across as being less RYO-like and more in line with what a pipe smoker would expect from burley, virginia, etc. I've always stayed away from D&R because, not knowing which is which, I prefer not to roll the dice.

So...have I been told correctly? Are there D&R blends that are more like pipe blends than RYO blends? If so, can anyone suggest a few that are worth trying?

You should just go over to the Review Site and read what Jim sez. I think he's tried most all of 'em.

I know zip about RYO blends...so there's that.

If they turn out more like pipe blends (you know these USED to be ryo blends...right?) that's fine with me.

FWIW, I am smoking D&R Picayune in a Kaywoodie pot as I type this. I have had Three Sails and Ryback Original in a pipe, and think they were good too. They are not complex and multi-dimensional, but they are a good smoke (for my palate anyway).

Picayune (not on your list, BH) is an excellent very strong smoke. As Fr. Tom says, it's not complex, but it hits the spot when you want some vitamin N. I imagine it would be good in a cigarette, but I smoke it in my pipes with pleasure.

OK...I went back and added Piccayune and Rimbouche AP to my list.

Great story from Mark Ryan (of D&R?) about some guy passing out while smoking this blend! Really?

New "spin" on the D&R label...also can be abbreviated "DnR"...which can also stand for Do Not Resuscitate! Ouch.

I have heard a couple of those are pretty strong. An acquaintance of mine had some he was rolling and I tried some in a pipe. I don't recall what blend it was but it seemed kinda potent to me. It wasn't bad, but pretty dry, so it was gone before I knew it!

Blackhorse":l8nsbsk8 said:
Try Gawith Dark Kentucky or Dark Birdseye.
Well, I'll have to put them down on the list of trials. I keep hearing about the Birdseye....

Hmmmmm...with shipping a carton works out to fourteen cents apiece!?!

Daughters and Ryan Picayune Filtered Cigars are a full bodied blend of Burley, Oriental, Perique, and Virginia tobacco's with no additives and plenty of rich, sweet tobacco flavor. These bad boys are what you expect out of a full sized cigar- only smaller... and filtered. But don't make the mistake of thinking these are dainty or anything, they have a well rounded full body that's truly satisfying. These come in a carton of 10 packs which contain 20 filtered cigars per pack.

https://www.windycitycigars.com/cheap-filtered-cigars/daughters-ryan-filtered-cigars/daughters-ryan-picayune-robust-blend-filtered-cigars/

Back in the '70s Picayune's were still available as a cigarette. They were the same size as Camels and un-filtered as well and made un-filtered Camels seem mild in comparison. A friend of my father's (he was from Nawlins) smoked 'em and they stunk to high heven !! :twisted: Havn't seen 'em in years now, not even in Nawlins !! :twisted:

It really is an interesting history.

http://www.cigarettespedia.com/index.php/BrandPicayune

http://www.jyuenger.com/?p=829

I went ahead and bought a carton of the D&R Picayune "small cigars" which use the same blend as the loose stuff and are...supposedly...as close a recreation of the original as Mark Ryan could come up with...as judged by panels that were familiar with them.

These are of course machine rolled...and 70mm x 22mm but with a filter.

I figure if I don't like 'em I'll use 'em as gifts, bombs or sale items here. For $0.14 a stick...hard to lose. That's $2.80 a pack!

Hadn't thought about "Picayunes" in a long time. When I was in college ('64-'68) working in a pipe & tobacco shop, we sold these things by the pack and carton. Big hit with the college crowd. The shop didn't carry a lot of cigarettes, just the "special" stuff. I seem to remember "English Ovals" being quite popular. Stunk like the dickens; I always thought they were made out of rolled tar!! :cheers: FTRPLT

Blackhorse":m21a551e said:
Picked up a bunch of Daughters and Ryan blends from a couple of vendors to use for very short outside jaunts as a RYO (but not inhaled) smoke.

The RYO thing is the DIY qualifier here.  lol

Got these:

Ramback Regular (Oriental/Turkish)
Rimbouche SJ (VaPer)
Rimbouche AP (Va/Per)
Two Timer (Burley)
Ryback (Burley, Kentucky, VA)
Don Giovanni Sigaro (leaf from Indonesia, Ecuador, Brazil and Nicaragua)
Cockstrong (Burley, Oriental/Turkish, VA)
Piccayune (Burley, Oriental/Turkish, Perique, Virginia)

Got some Gawith fine cut blends hangin' around if I feel like perking any of these up...N-wise.

There, that sounds like an interesting project to keep me...um, interested. Whatever.

Looking over the review site we have at least one member that's tried 'em all...Jim, what's yer favorite here?
It's hard for me to pick one favorite. I like all of Mark's VaPer blends very much. Mark's favorite is A.P. Rimboche. I also like VIP, which is A.P. Rimboche with a light anisette and German honey bourbon topping. I also have a great fondness for Two-Timer. I haven't tried the Sigaro blend. Three Sails doubles as pipe tobacco and RYO, but I smoke it in a pipe, and even though it burns fast, it has a very nice citrus and hay taste.

idbowman":x6ysi6mh said:
While we're at it:

I know that D&R are popular as RYO, but have been told that some come across as being less RYO-like and more in line with what a pipe smoker would expect from burley, virginia, etc.  I've always stayed away from D&R because, not knowing which is which, I prefer not to roll the dice.

So...have I been told correctly?  Are there D&R blends that are more like pipe blends than RYO blends?  If so, can anyone suggest a few that are worth trying?
While several of the D&R blends can be used for RYO, many are solely pipe tobacco, and all can be used as such. Mark even has four aros: Athey, Avanti, Rowland Regular, and London Dock. VIP is a semi-aromatic VaPer, and I love that one. His English Hoopla is a durn good English blend. The Raccoon series are all pipe tobacco only. I would say the same for the VaPer blends, Cockstrong, and William's Delight. I really like Two-Timer as a pipe tobacco.

Here's a couple links on this forum for you:

http://brothersofbriar.forumotion.com/t33770-jim-s-dr-raccoon-series-reviews?highlight=Jim+s+D+R+reviews

You'll have to scroll down the page to read all the D&R blends I reviewed. A number of them were later updated at TR.com, but these are my earliest impressions of them.

http://brothersofbriar.forumotion.com/t30548-jim-s-dr-reviews?highlight=Jim+s+D+R+reviews

If you want to see them all in their current form, go to my TR.com page, click on "Blend" and everything will show up in alphabetical order.

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/user/12988

Blackhorse":62elrcn3 said:
Jim - when are you going to publish?
If you go to Amazon.com and type in my real name, you'll see five books I wrote or co/wrote on comic books.

Let us know what you think of the blends when you smoke them. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

Jim - Sunday morning scribbling...

I admit to trying D&R blends in the past...in a haphazard way. I don't recall which but do remember being fairly unimpressed. I now attribute that to being at a certain stage in my taste preference development at which they just weren't right for me. I was smoking primarily heavy dark sweet flake and plugs. Still a basic preference. But then as now my top trio happened to be the John Patton lineup of Stormfront, Oriental Dusk and Crossroads. Toss on top of that pile his Dark Horse blend named for me after a special order I placed requesting that the Latakia in a certain blend be changed to Cigar leaf. It worked for me. So now the D&R blends are sneaking into my interest again...now that they have the Cigar blend...and when I have a renewed interest in working up some RYO blends out of stronger and more flavorful pipe blends. It's kinda like having a pistol and carbine chambered in the same cartridge. I'm not much interested in the 9mm version...but if it's a 44 magnum? Now THAT I find interesting. So I come to a point of wanting a fast smoke blend for THOSE occasions that is satisfying on all levels...and somewhat mirrors the Patton style of mixed VA, Burley, Turkish, Perique and Cigar Leaf. Tall order. Well, therein lies the fun, right.

Truth be told I haven't done a RMO in over forty years. And doing it with tobacco will be new...ahem. But it was fun finding a site with about forty different rolling papers and the same little "rolling machine" I once used.

So I have eight D&R blends and four varieties of papers on the way. My true hope is to do a good DIY blending routine for RYO over the Summer and come up with something not too obnoxious. I just stumbled on D&R's Picayune "small cigars" (again...same size as a Camel short) in the process and just couldn't pass 'em by. Since I have to order 'em by the carton (standard ten boxes of twenty) if you want to try some out PM me your address and I'll send you a box, gratis. You've certainly given enough to the community to warrant something back.

Blackhorse: I greatly thank you for the offer of the cigs (and the kind compliment), but never learning how to inhale, I found cigarettes don't work for me, except as a change of pace. It'd take me forever to work through a pack. However, I did smoke a couple of the Picayune cigs in November, and thought they were of very high quality and tasty. One doesn't need to inhale them to get a lot of flavor. When I accidentally inhale a puff or two of pipe smoke, I cough like a kid learning how to smoke. Just never could manage to do that.

Have you tried Mark's perique cigars? Man, they are great! My favorites are the Maduros with perique. Delicious!!!!