D&R blends for RYO

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This morning's trial...D&R Ramback...

D&R Ramback (100% Oriental/Turkish) ribbon cut...in a Falcon straight with meerschaum bulldog bowl. Surprisingly enjoyable overall with significant floral/parfum notes. This did not want to be set down!

As a RYO...I had rolled this one a bit tight and I think it would have performed better if the draw had been a bit easier. Interestingly the character of the smoke was different in the RYO. It was, of course, very similar but the precise nature of the floral notes, inhaled by nose from the overall smoke (if that makes any sense) was purer, sweeter, than that from the meer bowl.

I think if these were available as a factory roll they would be even better. As it is, the experience is/was a delight.

Brewdude":gb1ao7nn said:
Yes, Jim. I follow primarily your reviews, BH, DK, Bobby's, Father Tom, and D&B. They're the most helpful to me.

Cheers,

RR
My list is exactly the same, plus Dr. T.

More on topic, I've talked to a friend of mine and will be getting a hold of some D&R to sample - I probably won't go the RYO route, and go straight to cobs with 'em. Curious, but still just a tiny skeptical about the whole thing.

idbowman":vn2ecagu said:
Brewdude":vn2ecagu said:
Yes, Jim. I follow primarily your reviews, BH, DK, Bobby's, Father Tom, and D&B. They're the most helpful to me.

Cheers,

RR

More on topic, I've talked to a friend of mine and will be getting a hold of some D&R to sample - I probably won't go the RYO route, and go straight to cobs with 'em.  Curious, but still just a tiny skeptical about the whole thing.  
Yes, we have to include D&B, Dr. T., BH and Bobby's, too. Steel Cowboy has a number of very good reviews, too.

JimInks":pzrnz60k said:
idbowman":pzrnz60k said:
Brewdude":pzrnz60k said:

Cheers,

RR

More on topic, I've talked to a friend of mine and will be getting a hold of some D&R to sample - I probably won't go the RYO route, and go straight to cobs with 'em.  Curious, but still just a tiny skeptical about the whole thing.  
Yes, we have to include D&B, Dr. T., BH and Bobby's, too. Steel Cowboy has a number of very good reviews, too.
And what about SpeedyPete (Oh Lord, it's hard to be humble)

Love this thread! Always been curious about D&R blends but could never pull the trigger as my $$ has been going to cellaring extinction blends that I know I love. I would love to get my hands on some samples of these.

Fight'n Hampsters":fapxcaoo said:
Love this thread!  Always been curious about D&R blends but could never pull the trigger as my $$ has been going to cellaring extinction blends that I know I love. I would love to get my hands on some samples of these.
Some of them can be hit or miss, but overall I've had a pretty good experience with the ones I've had. I've got two of the Raccoon blends on my plate for the P&T Summer edition, and I don't want to spoil anything but they're some of the better ones I've had.

Looking through the list that BH put up, I'd have to say he picked pretty much the cream of the crop. I'd maybe trade in or out one or two, but overall these are all pretty solid blends.

I can't personally vouch for D&R blends, but I'd say not to overlook them when perusing the internet for a new shipment of 'baccy. :D

SpeedyPete":srab1t3s said:
And what about SpeedyPete    (Oh Lord, it's hard to be humble)
We were a little too, uh, slow to mention you, Speedy. :fpalm:

Yeah...many, many guys here do great reviews.

The thing for me is finding reviewers with whom you become familiar, so you know not only how they review but what they like then match those to your own preferences. So, say, I know Drums and that he pretty much likes pretty much the same as I do...but not so much Cigar leaf. Then you can judge how you'll react to a blend he has dissed or lauded. It has really come in handy.

And having a group of these guys...say 6 - 10...then when checking out that new to you blend you're more likely to find one of them has written something about it.

It really is great having so many people here who are generous enough to take the time to let us know what they are smoking and what their impressions of them are. I would be lost and have many more misses than hits if I had to just buy tins that "looked good" without any point of reference. :D

Fight'n Hampsters":j81y07rm said:
It really is great having so many people here who are generous enough to take the time to let us know what they are smoking and what their impressions of them are.  I would be lost and have many more misses than hits if I had to just buy tins that "looked good" without any point of reference. :D
Here, here!

Major hurdle overcome. The use of a stiff rolled paper 'tip' will be mandatory from now on. Just rolled my first 100mm and used a pre rolled tip. Huge improvement in ease, durability, duration, etc.

This one was with some of today's shipment of Stokkebye "shribbon" cut blends (half way betwixt ribbon and shag). I tried out the Turkish Export #84 which is very highly touted by all and sundry. It handled in a totally excellent manner. I managed to puff up the heat a bit (I have skills), but overall it was fine.

So, yes to the 100mm...yes to the tips...yes to Stokkebye.

And a note: the D&R is much more coarse cut than the Stokkebye and the PS #84 burned the best and most evenly thus far...BUT...the D&R Ramback (100% Oriental/Turkish) has WAY more to offer in the flavor department I'm thinkin'. IMHO. More testing is needed.  WooHoooo!

Second note: MANY of the reviews I covered today of the Stokkebye Turkish, Norwegian and Danish ribbons were done as a RYO/MYO review. Very frequently the reviewer would mention that the blends just didn't have a profile that did well in a pipe, but when rolled they sang a sweet song. Very different physics.

Blackhorse":334mi3fw said:
Who knows? I'm callin' what I got "shribbon" as it seems finer than the current D&R ribbon but more coarse than shags like Gawith puts out. I got it from P&C I think.
Cool. Thanks. I wonder if it is still available wholesale to shops etc. I'm not much of a cigarette smoker. 50g of shag could last me three months. I miss the old days when you could get sweet, pure Turkish shag. When I worked in a pipe shop, we also carried a couple dozen import cigarettes and RYO pouches. There were some FANTASTIC Turkish cigarettes. Balkan Sobranie made an incredible no filter Turkish oval. Turkish Special made a couple different blends that were quite good. I'd like to think they're still sold in Europe and Canada. And of course, we aren't talking the chemical garbage sold under Camel for decades. We're talking fine, unadulterated leaf. The closest I've had since the heydays was Stokkebye Turkish shag.

Interesting. Times gone by.

Speaking of which...the Picayune smokes arrived via UPS this afternoon. I'm predicting great things with these...the pack and pre light aroma is FANTASTIC! They are king size with what's called (I assume) a red filter. Filters on these things are red, gold and silver...essentially strong, medium and mild...refers to how much "flavor" they let through. Anyway, they are a medium brown in color...filter and tube. The fill level makes the tube very firm...these are not loose by any stretch. They come in a nice flip top box.

Oh boy, oh boy. I can hardly wait. Tomorrow will be a test day, I'm thinkin'.

Gonna get psyched. These have a broad reputation for strength that is akin to a fat bowl of Dark Plug.

Most 'ribbon' cuts are 1/16" wide. As I understand it, .8mm is 1/32" wide. My opinion is at it would be considered 'shag' cut. Pretty thin, great for 'rollies'.