Dallas pipe event in plans local pipe carvers

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stapf

Reaction score
We are in plans for a local pipe event sponsored by Tobacco Cabana in Cedar Hill in July or early August.  Colin Rigsby probably already knows everyone, but if you are a local pipe maker interested in coming and showing/selling your pipes please get in touch.  Tobacco Cabana have agreed to let local carvers show and sell their pipes at the event.  Local = anyone close enough to want to drive.  

There will also be a slow smoke contest with a nice pipe as the prize to the winner.  More details later, likely in a seperate thread.

This might be something I can attend...........maybe. ;)

Love to as I've never been to a pipe show. The small matter of several thousand miles might prove somewhat irksome though.

Cartaphilus":2dvk8vm7 said:
Will you be taking a selection of 'Ron's Rejects' for sale? :)

alandadp":3n4dthbe said:
Cartaphilus":3n4dthbe said:

No no sir, it's one thing showing photos of them here but, showing that junk at a show
in person, that would be just too embarrassing. :oops:

alandadp":p0yf2xt2 said:
Cartaphilus":p0yf2xt2 said:
It might not be a bad idea to take your most recent one so you can talk shop with more experienced makers and show it to them to let them know right where you are. You might get more helpful advice.

juanmedusa":ilvonpi4 said:
alandadp":ilvonpi4 said:
Cartaphilus":ilvonpi4 said:
It might not be a bad idea to take your most recent one so you can talk shop with more experienced makers and show it to them to let them know right where you are. You might get more helpful advice.
I'll wait till I have better pipes before I start showing them in person. ;)

Ever modest you are Ron! You've turned out some real beautiful pieces that I for one would be proud to have in my collection. I'm sure everyone here would agree. Move at your own pace though. Just saying your work is nothing to be ashamed of!

Jim

huffelpuff":x7k6slhn said:
Ever modest you are Ron! You've turned out some real beautiful pieces that I for one would be proud to have in my collection. I'm sure everyone here would agree. Move at your own pace though. Just saying your work is nothing to be ashamed of!

Jim
Well said Jim. I wholeheartedly agree!

:sunny:

Cheers,

RR

Ron:  If it were me, I would bring examples of my best stuff and ezamples of problems that it might be good to get advice on how to avoid.  If nervous about showing them, just leave them in a cooler in the car to protect from Dallas heat and see how conversations go.  If you start to feel comfortable, bring them out to show.  If not, no problem, they stay in the car.

I can't say for sure yet who will be there.  Colin Rigsby has been involved in the brief planning that has happened so far, so hopefully everything works out for him to make it down.  I'm hoping Bob Gilbert brings some pipes, but I haven' had any comunication yet.  I'll know more after the Denton group have their meeting in about a week and a half..  I'm planning to go up for it.  I only personally know of one other pipemaker locally, but I'm pretty sure there are a few more that I don't know of.  I think this event will be one of the last 2 Sat's in July so that both the Denton and Fort Worth groups can have 2 meetings prior to the event.

stapf":tku3vppn said:
Ron:  If it were me, I would bring examples of my best stuff and ezamples of problems that it might be good to get advice on how to avoid.  If nervous about showing them, just leave them in a cooler in the car to protect from Dallas heat and see how conversations go.  If you start to feel comfortable, bring them out to show.  If not, no problem, they stay in the car.

I can't say for sure yet who will be there.  Colin Rigsby has been involved in the brief planning that has happened so far, so hopefully everything works out for him to make it down.  I'm hoping Bob Gilbert brings some pipes, but I haven' had any comunication yet.  I'll know more after the Denton group have their meeting in about a week and a half..  I'm planning to go up for it.  I only personally know of one other pipemaker locally, but I'm pretty sure there are a few more that I don't know of.  I think this event will be one of the last 2 Sat's in July so that both the Denton and Fort Worth groups can have 2 meetings prior to the event.
Ryan Alden might be one to contact, he's a local pipe maker, a member of BOB and does some fine work.
As for me, I'm not too sure if I'll be able to make it cause it's hard for me nowadays to make a drive that far for anything.

I would love to make it up for the show. Ron, if you want, I can swing by and pick you up for the show. it wouldn't be a problem for me :) BTW, I need dates so I can plan it. I plan on going to to the one in New Orleans in October too. I have never been to a pipe show, but i will make sure to have some money in the wallet. I am sure it will be empty when I leave. :lol!:

d4klutz":q6u0v43r said:
I would love to make it up for the show.  Ron, if you want, I can swing by and pick you up for the show.  it wouldn't be a problem for me :)  BTW, I need dates so I can plan it.  I plan on going to to the one in New Orleans in October too.  I have never been to a pipe show, but i will make sure to have some money in the wallet.  I am sure it will be empty when I leave. :lol!:
JP, I'll PM ya ;)

Just to be clear. This isn't a full fledged pipe show. This is a Store sponsored and hosted event. Much smaller scale.

It will be a chance for local pipe enthusiests to get together and for the 3 local groups to meet together. There will be a slow smoke contest. I don't know for certain yet that there will be local carver participation. This thread was to encourage local carvers to get in contact and to start speading the word that this was in the planning stages. I probably should have waited for a firm date, but as there won't be a lot of time to promote it I thought I would get the word out on this forum early as it is the one I am most active on.

1 of the groups meets this WED, another this Thur, and the 3rd meets next Tues. I plan to go to all 3 and I should know a date after that meeting next Tues and then double checking the date with the folks at Tobacco Cabana.

Admins: I would prefer to have this thread unstickied. I will post a new thread when everything gets finallized with dates and any confirmed local carver participation. That new thread should be the one stickied. That will be in a week and a half hopefully.

Keep me in the loop, I'd love to make it if the schedule allows. And Ron, quit blowing smoke up peoples skirts, you have some skills with what you do !

RAlden":afeuqo2p said:
Keep me in the loop, I'd love to make it if the schedule allows. And Ron, quit blowing smoke up peoples skirts, you have some skills with what you do !
Never said I didn't have skills, I said I aint that good yet and meant it.

July 25th. Working on a new post with more details. 4 local carvers have been contacted and all were very positive in their response. Of course things can come up with families as we all know. I'll name names when I have conformation from them that it is ok and they are fairly certain of coming.

The 1st prize for the slow smoke contest will be a pipe by Colin Rigsby. I'll get pics of it up hopefully tomorrow if I can get someone with a better camera than mine to take them.