Daughters & Ryan Sells Majority Stake

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad he can take some cash out of his business. Hopefully, the perique operations stay healthy because I love perique!

Have had the pleasure of meeting Mark on many occasions at the TAPS (Triangle Area Pipe Show/Raleigh, NC) pipe show and TAPS monthly meetings over the years. Great to talk with; has a deep, gravely voice!! And, yes, he is known as "Mr. Perique." FTRPLT

Good for him. He earned it from what little I know. Probably not good for the D&R line, but that's how it goes. I only smoke Picayune, and I hope it goes unchanged. It's a great smoke out of a cob.

I got to visit the Home of Perique a few years ago when
Drew Estates held a "Barnsmoker" event there.
(I'm only about a half hour drive from Convent.)

I got the impression from the linked article that Ryan plans on remaining with D & R for at least five more years.

Does anyone know if Mark Ryan's daughters are actually involved in the company?

I see Picayune isn't available anywhere. Has it be discontinued? I googled, but I didn't find anything. A lot of the blends are gone from the P&C catalogue.

Just for grins, I checked the P&C site for the 'Picayune.' Appears from comments in Nov and Dec 2020 that it was gone by then! Well, damn, damn, and double damn!!! FTRPLT

Last edited:
Just for grins, I checked the P&C site for the 'Picayune.' Appears from comments in Nov and Dec 2020 that it was gone by then! Well, damn, damn, and double damn!!! FTRPLT
That makes me feel a wee bit better. I always seem to miss things by hours or a day or two. Missing it by months is more acceptable. Still sorry I don't have a pound stashed away.

That makes me feel a wee bit better. I always seem to miss things by hours or a day or two. Missing it by months is more acceptable. Still sorry I don't have a pound stashed away.
I feel your pain!! I felt the same way years when I visited JR Cigar in Statesville, NC to find out BS 759 was no longer available!!!!!!! FTRPLT

Yeah, unfortunately the new owners axed out a lot of my favorites—London Dock, Rimboche AB, and Ramback Balkan all went the way of Picayune. I also wasn’t aware it was happening until it was too late. Got a couple pounds each of the Rimboche and Ramback but only a few ounces left of my Picayune stash...one of those blends I always assumed would be there.

The good news for perique lovers is the deal didn’t include the actual perique production business, just the DR pipe tobacco line, so Mark will still be at the reins of America’s perique industry. Feel way better with him holding it down than.

I haven't been paying any attention, so this might be old news, but it was nice to see Three Sails in the recent P&C D&R sale. I thought maybe it was also discontinued.