Davey bombed me!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puff Daddy

Reaction score
I've been nosing around on a couple of cigar forums to get caught up on the latest, I've really not paid much attention in a few years and when I started looking around online and in the B&M's I noticed that about half of the brands out there are ones I've never heard of before. Apparently the new gar-speak for gifting a friend with unexpected cigars is called a bomb, as in Davey bombed me when he sent a half dozen very good smokes my way :D Thanks for da bomb Davey, very much appreciated!

When the smoke cleared there were a couple of Fuente sungrowns, a Gurkha Sherpa, a Perdomo Cantero Maduro, a La Gloria Cubana maduro and an Oliveros XL Double Maduro laying before me. I gobbled up the Gurkha immediately yesterday (a nice medium bodied smooth smoke with the signature Gurkha earthiness - this is a company that is really impressing me!) and then settled in this morning with the Fuente sungrown, a double corona I believe. An excellent, spicy cigar with a flavor profile true to the Fuente line - similar to the Hemingways but bolder and spicier. This was a cigar to slowly savor as it's spiciness commands that you take your time, but it pleases to the end and I savored it down to the band and then some :D Being quite familiar with the Fuente's of this caliber it really showed me what the sungrown wrapper can do for a cigar!

Thanks again Davey!

Nothing like a destroyed mailbox to make your day :) :) :).

I've had mine blown up and called in arty on a few.

I've really been getting into cigars after Lucky sent me a bunch. Was a great way to get started.

Anyone else as impressed as I am with Gurkha? Seems there are a lot of cigars out there doing their best to be the Dominican Cuban, but Gurkha has gone a different direction altogether and is producing some amazing earthy, fragrant sticks unlike anything I've ever tried :D

That Fuente is going to be hard to beat for a full bodied Dominican, I've tried Tatuaje Havana VI and it's damned close, but the AF Sungrown is pretty exceptional 8)

From a novice view point I've really enjoyed the three that I've smoked. Although the construction on one was piss poor. Quick to unravel and burned poorly overall. That could be because of how I stored it though, my little humidor fluctuates quite a bit. Although I didn't have any problems with any other cigars in there.

I will say that I've been enjoying the lower end (cost wise) of the cigar spectrum. 5 Vegas Series "A", Victor Sinclair Vintage Select (awesome taste but a not the best draw on the five or so I've smoked), Indian Tabac Super Fuerte... these are all 1-2 dollar a stick smokes that I thoroughly enjoy. Liked them all better than the Gurkhas or the higher end Rocky Patels.

Gurkha is a hit and miss brand for me. Some of them are supurb some of them I couldn't give away without feeling guilty.
The biggest problem I have with them though is that they overdue the 'Limited Edition' deal. Seems like they claim every stick they produce is a LE.

Of the Fuente line I am very pedestrian, my fav is the venerable 8-5-8 Natural. I'll occasionally have a 'Cuban Corona', an 'Anejo', or an 'Opus' but the cheap one is still the best IMO.

puros_bran":zg3aum4q said:
Of the Fuente line I am very pedestrian, my fav is the venerable 8-5-8 Natural. I'll occasionally have a 'Cuban Corona', an 'Anejo', or an 'Opus' but the cheap one is still the best IMO.
I'll join you in the crosswalk, Bran. The 8-5-8 is a lovely cigar. I've been smoking them since 1980, when I could buy them for 75¢ each. When the cigar "boom" resulted in a lot of frontmarks going sour, I could still count on the 8-5-8 for a great, reasonably priced smoke. While every other cigar I used to love has been reformulated, the 8-5-8 has been steadfast. There are lots of good cigars out there, and a few great ones, but none have been as reliable for as long as this much beloved toro.

It's not my absolute favourite cigar, but it's probably the one I would choose if I could only choose one.

But, back on topic. A nice selection, PuffD! If there were more bombs like that in the world, it would be a better place.

The Fuente Sungrowns are very good. Nice bomb! 8)

I am with PB on the Gurkha's. Too many with poor construction and some are downright awful. Not to mention poor packaging. I sent all I had back to the retailer because I couldn't bring myself to toss them out in the flowerbeds. I sure was not going to give them to a friend. Never heard a word back from that retailer.

Well P,

After receiving such a great bomb from Davey (way to go Davey!) there will be no need for me to send you a bag of Backwoods....

"What kind of bomb was it, the exploding kind" ...Inspector Clueso

Wow, I definitely haven't been smoking the same Gurkhas you guys have been smoking. I grabbed some 5 packs of Grand Age perfectos, Legend 8 year aged toros, and Legend 8 year aged torpedos. I also have smoked a couple of Vintage Shaggy torpedos at the B&M, excellent smokes! The Sherpa Davey gave me was superb as well. They are certainly different, less of that intense cigar-ness and more soft earthiness but still bold and flavorful. I'd hardly call them mild, but they are softer than your average Dominican. They remind me of the old Onyx 852's I used to love so much. Even though the Gurkhas are not maduros like the Onyx they share the same kind of flavor profile, to me anyhow.

Will be settling down and enjoying some more of Davey's bombs this weekend 8)

PD,

Very glad you are enjoying the little sample. I get a kick out of the lingo, and yes...we do call it a "bomb" though it was a bit light...

Mr. Collins does have a point with all the hoopla over their "limited" verbage, but so long as one knows which ones are being cranked out with lesser leaf, one could be worse off. I have quite a smattering of most of their stuff, and if you find you enjoy many of the lines, look up Carlos Torano..another great cigar maker that is only recently getting attention...and prices are reflecting it.

Jason, you humidor MAy be a source of burn issues, but it is certainly worth mentioning that certain wrappers are much less forgiving of temp changes when burning, and as a result may need to be "dry boxed" as we say, to prevent unraveling/Heckle & Jekle exploding cigar issues in drier weather/climates.

D

First off, GREAT BOMB, Davey! :cheers:

Secondly, Gurkhas ROCK! Kasod Honsotia really knows what he's doing when it comes to making a good smoke. Yes, I would agree with the too many "Limited" cigars. It's one reason why I usually stick to his mainstream lines. Like the Regent, Legends, and Expedition. With those three lines a person could smoke a gurkha for anytime of the day and have a wide range of flavors to choose from.

Enjoy those sticks and hopefully you will find some staples for your humidor!

Lucky

luckydogguy":k3uyqh7u said:
Gurkhas ROCK! Enjoy those sticks and hopefully you will find some staples for your humidor!

Amen to dat! :D

Lovin the Gurkhas and that Oliveros XL maduro rocks too! 8)

PD,

I really enjoyed the Oliveros also! They put out some good things and some bad things. The XL Double Maduro is a GOOD thing in my book! It is a powerhouse with great balance and flavor!I have a box that has just about two years age on it. The other XL that was put out, the Double Corojo, has not lived up to the hype. I smoked one about a year or so ago and wasn't impressed at all! So, I may need to revisit that smoke sometime soon to see if age helps it any.

Lucky