Davidoff Pipes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CPT/VSG

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with Davidoff pipes? You don't see much reference to them. Any idea who actually manufactures them for Davidoff?

:x Oh yeah!

I had one and it was pure garbage! It had no grain whatsoever and it's stem would disscolour totally after just one smoke! It's smoking qualities were'nt great and it reminded me of an upshall in that the smoke had a "hot air" quality without much flavor. I would'nt buy another one for a fiver. The brand left a bad taste in my mouth (no pun intended)

Mine was a gift from a well meaning relative.It was a grp 4 billiard with it's box and sock.It had been smoked less than five times and only brought around a hundred bucks when I sold it on e-Bay!

My advice: Buy and Ashton or a Ferndown and skip the Davidoff's......

Best,
D.J.

Danish_Pipe_Guy":qz1isz9a said:

I had one and it was pure garbage! It had no grain whatsoever and it's stem would disscolour totally after just one smoke! It's smoking qualities were'nt great and it reminded me of an upshall in that the smoke had a "hot air" quality without much flavor. I would'nt buy another one for a fiver. The brand left a bad taste in my mouth (no pun intended)

Mine was a gift from a well meaning relative.It was a grp 4 billiard with it's box and sock.It had been smoked less than five times and only brought around a hundred bucks when I sold it on e-Bay!

Best,
D.J.
Dock knows what he is talking about.

ZuluCollector":is7682i6 said:
Danish_Pipe_Guy":is7682i6 said:

Best,
D.J.
Dock knows what he is talking about.
I just he would quit beatin around the bush and tell us how he really feels. :D

Thanks, Dock. I was more curious than tempted. They sell traditional shapes (which I like) and the double red finsish (or whatever it is called) looks nice. But, I'll defer to actual experience with them. There are too many well-made pipes out there to waste $300 on something with poor smoking characteristics.

A few years ago I made the mistake of buying one. Even on sale, at 50% off, it was a waste of my money. Way overpriced!

I received Hacker's Rare Smoke this week which has this: "Long recognized by connoisseurs of both Havana and (since 1989) Dominican cigars, the Davidoff name entered the pipe smoker's world in 1974, when their pipes were first introduced in England. The Davidoff pipe reached American shores a few years later and now, of course, they are available worldwide. Originally, production of Davidoff pipes was divided among Italy, France, and England, but they are now consolidated in England. The briars are all high grades and are priced accordingly. Available in 14 of the most traditional styles, the Davidoff pipe is readily identified by a semi-saddle back scalloped underside of the bit, which also exhibits the dramatically swirled 'D' trademark. Three finishes are offered in ascending price ranges, they are: black sandblaste, a double stained 'red,' and a polished natural 'matte.'"

Thanks for comments based upon personal experience because Hacker's note implies these pipes are better than they are reported to be.

I have collected all three finishes over the years. I paid about $100 bucks each for them they make a nice looking group the natural has outstanding tiny birds eye, the red has good straight grain and the black blast has a very good ring grain blast. For the price I paid I am very happy with the pipes they smoke great. Mine are drilled spot on and I think the stems are Lucite as I have never had even a hint of oxidation. I believe the 2 French made pipes are carved by Pierre Morrel. The London made black blast by ???? (he knows how to blast). I prefer larger pipes so they don't get out much but when I go to Vegas I will pack them with a Davidoff tamper and lighter for an elegant after dinner pipe. (yes, I fell for the marketing! :oops:)

Well, I literally just came home iwth the double red billiard brand new never smoked and was excited. Now I guess I will have to see for myself. I got a real deal on it though so alls not lost if it sucks. I hope you guys are wrong though, it is a gorgeous pipe.

I own two Davidoffs, one is a black blast bent brandy and the other is a smooth red straight billiard. The stems are indeed lucite, and the bowls, while well turned and devoid of pits or fills, are unremarkable. The drilling on both is perfect. I had a very hard time breaking them in, as they would both smoke very hot and taste "woody". Now that they are broken in, they are among my favorite smokers, even though I definitely prefer vulcanite to lucite in my mouth. I like them and enjoy them very much. YMMV, but in my experience they are a quality product.

Cheers!

Juan M. Villaveces

I bought two Davidoffs about a month ago, a 410 (Lavot Cognag) and 401 (Dublin). The Lavot is a great pipe and I use it exclusively for smoking flakes. It was easy to break in and I love this pipe.
The Dublin was a bit jibbing at first and I was disappointed. But I mixed a bit of tobacco ash and spittle and coated the inside of the bowl with it. Although the bowl still gets very hot, I'm quite happy with it now.
The finish and grain of the two pipes are super, lots of beautiful birds eye and flashes and I'm 100% satisfied that this is above average quality.