decent quality everyday pipes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roogles

Reaction score
I'm looking to get one (or a couple) of decent quality everyday smoking pipes... I've read tons of posts on here about peterson, sav, dunhill, standwell, and others and I know what kinds of pipes I prefer as far as style, finish, etc...

My current pipe collection (which is tiny compared to many of the brothers) entirely consists of drugstore pipes (Grabow's mostly). My every day smokers are a couple of bent Grabow's.

I do have a pair of MacQueens and the baby bent well pipe (which is a peterson system knock-off - that has been discussed in other threads) but as much as love smoking those three pipes, they aren't convenient or practical for throwing in my backpack or shirt pocket and heading out for the day... The MacQueens especially are "sit on the porch and pontificate" smokers, and the tiny well pipe - while not monetarily valuable - has rather sentimental value.

I'm looking to acquire a relatively inexpensive peterson, stanwell, or savinelli to carry around in my backpack, toolkit, or shirt pocket for "everyday" smoking while driving, working, etc.

I'm watching several ebay auctions that could be promising, as well as pouring over the selections at the oft-mentioned websites.

Has anyone had experience with the Duca Carlo Bandy line from Savinelli? Would something else be a better place to start?

I realize that picking up some MM cobs would be a good idea, and probably will do that at some point, but they aren't really what I'm after...

As always, thanks for thoughts, insights, and recommendations.

You might also want to consider a few Missouri Meerschaum cobs, which are affordable, durable, and wonderful pipes.

https://www.brothersofbriar.com/t12942-the-corncob-new-smoker-primer

https://www.brothersofbriar.com/t12900-mm-buyers-guide-5-31

http://www.corncobpipe.com/

I like the Bjarne Viking line. They are light (I clench so that's important to me) but still have good sized tobacco chambers. I think most are around $50 but you can find them for less if your lucky. I have a Viking Classic Houston bent dublin that's become my travel pipe.

You sound a bit like me. I do recommend a few MMS, which you said you'd consider. For me, it's not so much because I "want" to smoke a cob (not really my thing, and I gather that it's not really yours, either), but to have on hand to taste new blends w/o ghosting a briar or to fill a spot in the rotation when everything else is still drying/resting. If that sounds like how you plan to use it, I would tell you that I bought 2 inexpensive MMs five years ago or so, and they have served those purposes well.

As for a reliable but not-too-pricey briar, I'm hardly the best person to ask, but my personal experience with a relatively inexpensive Pete has been nothing but great. I was actually thinking about grabbing this estate Pete from smokingpipes, but decided not to pull the trigger: http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/estate/ireland/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=91962

Dave_In_Philly":ye1qeeiq said:
I like the Bjarne Viking line. They are light (I clench so that's important to me) but still have good sized tobacco chambers. I think most are around $50 but you can find them for less if your lucky. I have a Viking Classic Houston bent dublin that's become my travel pipe.
Second this. I don't own one, but they get good marks from newbies and seasoned smokers alike. Cobs are also a good way to go. Between the two, you could have a seven-day collection for around $100 - $130.

idbowman":0cii6bfr said:
You sound a bit like me. I do recommend a few MMS, which you said you'd consider. For me, it's not so much because I "want" to smoke a cob (not really my thing, and I gather that it's not really yours, either), but to have on hand to taste new blends w/o ghosting a briar or to fill a spot in the rotation when everything else is still drying/resting. If that sounds like how you plan to use it, I would tell you that I bought 2 inexpensive MMs five years ago or so, and they have served those purposes well.
You've hit the nail on the head here.

It isn't that I'm opposed to cobs, and I am planning to grab a couple or three for exactly the reason(s) you describe here - having some spares, tasting new blends, and having a couple of pipes that I won't feel guilty if something happens to them.

In general though they aren't really my thing. I totally respect and understand the value, and I think I "get" them, but they're not me.

Dave_In_Philly":palsw5uz said:
I'm a clencher as well Dave, especially while driving.

Thanks for pointing these out!

Hi Roogles, check at www.outwesttobacco.com. He has a nice selection of
Hugo International Series ( HIS ) pipes for around $30. I have four of them, and they all smoke great, are lightweight, and look pretty nice!
They are listed on the site under economy briars. Happy puffing. :)

Yes, those Savinellis are very hard to beat.

Also, don't knock the MM Cobs - like the Diplomat, Great Dane, or even the General if you want a taller bowl - until you try them. They might just become your thing - it's happened to quite a few, even on here.

Come to think of it, i've got a few basket pipes from the local B&M that turned out to be fantastic smokers as well, not to mention affordable...

My first pipe was a Calabalsi or something like that. It was a basket pipe I paid $25 for and she has been a good pipe

My go to basket pipe is a Lorenzo which I paid around $30 for. It's a good smoker.

If you can snag a Bjarne, do it. In my opinion, Bjarne made the best smoking affordable pipe available.