Decided to start carving - 1st 4 pipes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hollywood

Reaction score
Hey guys. I decided last month that I wanted to give carving a try. Didn't have any tools or total confidence that I had a chance at getting one done. I bought a few kits from Tim West; that he drilled the chamber and airway for me. I brought home a 4-sided rasp and a ton of sandpaper, and set out. After the first one I was hooked. Asked for a Dremel for Christmas. The last 3 were a bit easier with that addition. I'm going to slowly set up a shop and get some better pieces going.

Take a look and please give me some of your feedback on what you like and don't like, too! I'm learning with every one, and could use all the comments I can get.

Here goes:

#1 - Danish 1/4 bent
108_3411.jpg

#2 - Freehand Blowfish
108_3653.jpg

#3 - Rusticated Squat Bulldog
108_3657.jpg

#4 - Freehand Danish Egg
108_3686.jpg

Excellent for your first pipes. The rustication should be deeper, I think most pipers would agree. Personally, I don't care for shanks which are narrower at the bowl joint then the stem joint; others will like them though. Your pipes look like Group 5 or larger, but the bowl chamber diameters appear to be relatively smallish. Most American smokers want 13/16 to 7/8 inch. Keep up the good work.

Hollywood,

Those are awesome!

I would say if those are the first four out of the gate that within three months you will have a website up peddling high grade handmade pipes.

Great job!

Damn fine work hollywood. I'd be proud to be smoking any one of them.

Great work for your first 4 creations. It certainly is easy to get hooked on making pipes - it has happened to me, too. What are you making next, Hollywood?

CP":ukk6cpx9 said:
Most American smokers want 13/16 to 7/8 inch.
Hmph. Hollywood, you make the bowl whatever size you want. There are always folks who appreciate smaller group sizes. I, for instance, don't always have an hour to spend smoking a pipe and don't really like filling a larger bowl halfway.

There is also a contingent of smokers that think 7/8 is too big (though that may only be myself and possibly Mike B).

Keep up the good work. Excellent results so far.

showme

PS: If you need unbiased testers just let me know.

I agree Showme. I think the bowl diameter should match what the pipe is intended for (flake pipe versus English blends as an example) and more importantly it should fit the size of the bowl/briar. I would guess close to 50% of my pipes have a bowl diameter of 3/4 inch.

Again very nice looking shapes and craftsmanship Hollywood. Congratulations.

Those are nice looking pipes, and quite impressive for your first four pipes. Your squat bulldog reminds me of a carver that I like very much, John Crosby. I have tapered stems by Wolfgang Becker and Rad Davis, and commissions coming sometime this year from Will Purdy and Alex Florov that will also have tapered stems. Variety and individual taste is what keeps this hobby so interesting for me.

Keep up the good work and I look forward to seeing more of your creations.

Thank you all very much for your comments!! I really appreciate it!

It's has been very fun so far, and of course not without mistakes. I like the progress and really look forward to learning more and more every time I do a pipe. A learning process that I hope continues quickly, but indefinitely.

I am going to make several billiard and bulldog style pipes coming up. Some with a little variation of style, but I want to get more semi-standard shapes under my belt. I will also be doing a couple special Volcanoes and Danish inspired Brandy shapes. Those should be pretty nice if I can get good briar and stem continuity. Right now I'm just waiting on more briar to get here, so I can get some more done. Hopefully by the end of next week!!

Here's a few rough drawings of those to come next:

myvolcano.jpg

brandy12.jpg

mdmiller5":risudtg4 said:
Very nice shapes. I guess my favorite is that last brandy you have pictured. Heck I'm impressed with the drawings. Some kind of CAD program?
Thanks. Cannot wait to get the Briar here!!! :bounce:

Just drew those up quick with Windows Paint. Would love to have CAD .... and then know how to use it. :)

Those are a pretty impressive showing for your first pipes, good job. I will have to disagree with what was said about your rustication, I think any deeper would have detracted from the pipe.

I like the shape on your first Volcano, thats I really nice interpretation.

Very well done, I think the rustication is just right for the size and shape of the pipe.
Shallow rustication was quite popular with London makers in the 60's and 70's.