Definitive Shapes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmokeyTweed

Reaction score
Hello all,

I figured I’d post what will hopefully be a fun thread.

With so many variations in pipe shapes and finishes I was wondering if any of you have an opinion on the definitive shape, maker, or finish on a particular pipe shape?

Think of it like cars, Ferrari’s come in all colours but I usually only think of them coming in red and when someone asks me to think of a red car it’s a Ferrari.

Who makes the the definitive billiard or bulldog? The best Lovat? Or what shape of pipe do you think of when I say Dunhill, Peterson, or Comoys?

Always curious,

ST.

Interesting thoughts! Here's my initial take...

In my head Dunhill is synonymous with the straight billiard and Peterson the bent billiard. I need to reflect more on the others...

Interesting thoughts! Here's my initial take...

In my head Dunhill is synonymous with the straight billiard and Peterson the bent billiard. I need to reflect more on the others...
And I think of the Dunhill straight billiard in the reddish brown rusticated finish.

For me the Peterson full bent system pipes define their signature style. And has been already noted, the Dunhill straight billiard is synonymous with their style. To me anyway.

Cheers,

RR

When I think of pipe shapes, I think of the ones in my collection.
Peterson always makes me think of a Sherlock Holmes style bent pipe.
Dunhill, a straight billiard such as the shell briar I have. Freehand shapes, always think
of Nording, or Preben Holm. Other shapes I'm undecided on. I like bulldogs and rhodies.
Right now I'm into pot shaped pipes. I guess, whatever catches my eye.

Attachments

• Pete XL11.JPG
    Pete XL11.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 106