Den, Shed, Shop or Cave - Do You Have One of Your Very Own?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ontariopiper

Reaction score
Hey ladies and gents,

As the post title suggests, I've been wondering if everyone, male or female, should be afforded a personal space somewhere for the pursuit of hobbies, projects or time-wasting of a personal nature. Do you have a den, shed, workshop or other comfortable space in which to pursue your hobbies or just relax? Do you/can you enjoy your pipe in your space?

My answer is a qualified yes. I have a room in our basement that I carved out of the larger space when we renovated years ago. That's my room for my stuff, and everybody else knows it and stays out. Not that I'm draconian about it - my wife and kids come in all the time to visit - but it's primarily my space. I can't smoke in it, though, as there's no ventilation and I'd stink up the entire house. Not gonna happen. So instead I insulated the garage and installed a shop heater and an exhaust fan. That's where I enjoy a bowl when it's too cold to sit out in the back yard. So far this winter it's been ok, with only a few really cold days to suffer through or abstain.  I'd like to throw up some stud walls and be able to heat the shop space properly year round, but that's a project for another day.

My wife is not particularly supportive of my pipes, though she has chosen not to make a federal case of it as long as I don't smoke them around her or our teenage girls. We've reached an unspoken agreement, and I'm ok with that. I figure after 22 years together and 2 kids, if a bit of pipe smoke is all she's got to complain about, I'm doing ok.  :D

I have been encouraging my wife to take over our spare bedroom as HER space. I suspect her ideal space would look more like a Zen garden or spa, and mine would look more like a classic English club room, but to each his/her own! :) I think a bit of personal space is a good thing for a relationship. When a partnership is new, the couple tends to "cocoon" a bit, focussing energy on being together, doing things together, etc. As we approach another anniversary, my wife and I are starting to value time apart doing things we're interested in individually. That way we've got new stories to tell each other at dinner.

Your thoughts?

Smirk..........

Every time I create a new 'personal space', it is filled with knitting stuff or animals. I share my curing barn with tools and seasonal stuffs.

This year, I am making a barn for animals. If the logic is sound, and tendencies prevail, I will have my space.........

Living the singular life has some advantages. I have my WHOLE HOUSE to do with as I want !! :twisted: :twisted:

Yes I do and I don't have to live alone to have it.
Although sometimes I wish I did.........at least maybe with someone else. ;)

I have some space in the garage with a nice little drum set and a radio. I usually smoke there, or outside.

I need a better chair and to get rid of some clutter. Other than that, I can hardly complain.

We own a home in WI and AZ and I enjoy my pipe in both. I am not a all day chain smoker so my wife doesn't mind. My car is my cigar lounge and that is pretty much a hazmat site on wheels. :shock:

ontariopiper said:
I figure after 22 years together and 2 kids, if a bit of pipe smoke is all she's got to complain about, I'm doing ok.  :D

[/quote

Bingo - a sure bet strategy for a successful marriage!

I've carved out a comfortable area of my workshop/garage that gets me through the summer months. My wife even puts a tree out there for some holiday spirit. (36 years this June!)

I like outdoor smoking, and my fave spots are on my back deck, on one of the benches under my maple trees, or back in the corner under my pines. When the New England weather gets really hardy, I open the garage door and set up a folding chair.

I used to just claim the entire acreage as my personal space, but since I've been home I share a little more.

I have my books, tobacco shop, and leather working/reloading area in the bed room. The trains are on a table in the living room next to her sewing factory table. The shave stuff has its own cabinetry... We live together alone on our side and the kids live alone together on their side. Lol.

Nope, since I moved into this house 1 year ago, I got my auto-immune disease, and all physical activity was halted. So other then opening up the garage door and sitting in a chair out in the weather, that's my only place to smoke. I have plans to put in a heat pump an exhaust fan in the garage, then I'll have a place dedicated for it. Penzance is rather stinky too.

riff raff":1eix1qi6 said:
I've carved out a comfortable area of my workshop/garage that gets me through the summer months.  My wife even puts a tree out there for some holiday spirit.  (36 years this June!)
[/quote]

Sounds like you've got the right lady, Al. :cheers:

I should also add that I've also got my camper/trailer. As the kids get older they have less time for camping with Dad, and my wife doesn't really "get" the camping thing ("Why would I sleep in the woods? I own a house!").

So I'll count an (increasing) portion of the trailer/campsite as my man-cave too. I can get a double-whammy of smoke when I'm camping - a nice campfire and a pipe full of Squadron Leader! :D

I'm an outdoors smoker by choice so if you count the whole world as my lounge then sure. I have had garages and sheds in the past when the weather was beyond atrocious but find that I really don't mind it if I have the right blend.

Jim

huffelpuff":w0dqxqvz said:
I really don't mind it if I have the right blend.

Jim
Maybe that's the trick to winter pipes. I find the flavour drains right out of whatever I'm smoking when the temp gets more than a few degrees below freezing. :cry: :scratch:

Dunno how you guys manage a bowl in cold weather. Smoking lowers the body temp and that combined with colder temps makes me shiver! :suspect: 

But there again I'm pretty cold no matter what the weather. Probably why I wear long johns continually from Sept-June!

:silent: 

Cheers,

RR

Rande, it helps that I'm built like a Neanderthal. Even though I'm tall I'm very thick and wide. Proper layering also helps as does a good hand warmer like the zippo models that are out now. Still have and use a really old hand warmer that burns charcoal sticks. Tuck that into an inner vest pocket and you're good for a few hours.

As far as things being flat or bland in the cold that's spot on. That's why I chose really heavy bold smokes in the cold.

Jim

FWIW-- My doc told me I tolerate cold better than heat because my veins are deep, not on the surface. (She was making conversation whilst digging around for a vein.) This is thanks to my ancestors (mostly Irish and Northern Euros) who lived in an environment where the ability to conserve heat was more important than keeping cool. OTOH hand, my brother, lately moved to Florida, is already acclimated to heat, and needs a jacket when the thermometer drops under 50. He has not reported that his veins changed position. Fifty is the beginning of shorts and T-shirt season for me.