Desert Island Pipe: What's yours?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puffer Mark

Reaction score
I am currently enjoying a spot of vacation leave, and not going away, have some time on my hands to just bum around, smoke my pipes and generally while away the time by starting threads of questionable value like this.

I have been spending some of my time listening to podcasts of a BBC Radio 4 series called Desert Island Discs. For those unfamiliar with the format, it involves an interview with a celebrity, interspersed with some of their favourite pieces of music. At the conclusion they are presented with the prospect of being cast away on a desert island. They are given a copy of the Bible, the collected works of Shakespeare, and are allowed to select on additional book, their favourite piece of music and one additional luxury item.

Considering this prospect for myself, my selection of a luxury item would almost certainly be a pipe and an unlimited supply of tobaccos of my choice. I think the format would allow me this.

Question is, of course, which pipe, as I don’t think my whole rack would be allowed. Now when posed with the question of a favourite pipe, I know many will say: “The one I’m smoking at the time” or “My latest acquisition” etc. But I thought it would be interesting to see which pipe all you brothers would select for such a scenario, and why.

I have many pipes that I love for different reasons, certainly not least of which, my artisan pipe crafted by my friend, Charl Goussard (a lovely pipe and fine smoker), and some others. But when I consider this particular prospect, I would have to say that my choice would be my Stanwell 172 “Viking”. It was the first pipe for which I shelled out over $100 (Have I mentioned that I’m a tight-fisted bastard?).

It simply spoke to me, possibly because of the “Viking” moniker, as I am one quarter Norwegian, by my maternal grandfather. I just love the way the shape hints at the prow of a Viking boat. With a nice medium sized bowl, it smokes pretty much anything down to the clichéd ‘fine white ash’ and stays cool in the hand due to the thick walls.

But for this scenario, it is the general chunkiness, the blast and the steel band, that I believe would make it stand up to the daily rigors of island life (falling onto the rocks etc.) Also the acrylic stem, although not so comfy on the teeth, would alleviate oxidation problems, sure to be experienced with vulcanite/ebonite and exposure to sun, sand and sea.

So here she is, my desert island choice. I would love to see some pics of your choices, and reasons for selection. Might be fun. Post away!

If durability were not a factor, I believe I'd opt for a corn cob. But since it would be a factor, my choice would probably be my Mark Twain bent Pete, which is not my favorite pipe in ordinary circumstances. It smokes quite well, seems like it would be durable, and tenon fit problems would be obviated by the military (or whatever it's called) bit. Plus a bent would "hang" better, a feature perhaps of more utility on a desert island, where I imagine more, not less, physical activity than engaged in now, sitting at a desk responding to a fun thread on a friggin' pipe forum.  :lol:

Looks exactly like these:

S7004176.jpg
" />

I'd have to go with a sandblasted military mount billiard with a silver rim cap. Durable, functional, easy to maintain, and darn nice to look at.

Richard Burley":azgbt61d said:
If durability were not a factor, I believe I'd opt for a corn cob. But since it would be a factor,
Nice choice Richard, and exactly the point. Not a "bag fulla cobs", but what's in the rack right now.

That is an interesting question Mark. I thought about my briers but could not really come up with one. I spun around and contemplated my collection.

My Kirsten gold anodized RX. It is a comfortable bent for hanging, cleans up easily, and does not need to rest between smokes.

I could not choose a tobacc however, not that you asked for one.

:geek:

I will take a MM Diplomat with forever stem. If I should run out of tobacco, I can always smoke bird droppings etc in my cob. Can't do that with a briar.

Well, if I can't take a pocket full of corn seed to grow my own cobs,,,Possibly a falcon with a meer lined bowl. Unbreakable, hard to burn out and easily cleaned.

mark":iwne8e8a said:
Well, if I can't take a pocket full of corn seed to grow my own cobs,,,Possibly a falcon with a meer lined bowl. Unbreakable, hard to burn out and easily cleaned.
You must hope that toilet paper will be available for cleaning out the "sump".

I have high hopes toilet paper will be available for cleaning something else. :lol!:

I dont have many pipes right now so I would say my Ferndown 3# root bent bulldog is my desert island pipe.

tarheel7734":5ds1z0u4 said:
I dont have many pipes right now so I would say my Ferndown 3# root bent bulldog is my desert island pipe.

That's a beaut allright there tarheel. But there again I'm a sucker for classic bent 'doggys!

8)

Cheers,

RR

After looking over all 106 pipes I have, I'd have to pick my BY Dunnie Patent Shell Apple for my briar desert island pipe and one of my MM cobs !! :twisted: :twisted:

My choice would not be the most expensive nor the "best" pipe in my rack; it would be this craggy old Hilson.  My wife bought it for me when I was in graduate school; in those days it was an expensive gift!  It was in my mouth in my photo in my MFA catalog, and it's seen me through a good many times, some good, some not so good.  I can't remember it ever having given me a bad smoke...

IMG_3254.jpg

My tastes have changed to less bends so it doesn't get smoked as often as it once did; I see it needed a good stem cleaning in this photo  :oops: .

monbla256":1c0tnccd said:
I'd have to pick my BY Dunnie Patent Shell Apple for my briar desert island pipe and one of my MM cobs !!
Cheater

I would take a pot of some description probably. I have two GBD 9493's and one of them would fill the bill nicely. Or maybe my Blakemar Special. These have nice comfy bits and seem to smoke everything well. I have a Savinelli 2320 that would be a practical choice and is a great smoker. The military bit would be a plus for quick turnaround when there is just one. So many choices...

Make mine Cobs. I've gotten in the habit of taking cobs on vacations with me, because they're such low maintenance, eager to please traveling companions. Also, I'm assuming breezy, outdoor smoking would be the order of the day, and cobs are ok with this treatment. Briars sometimes object by developing hot spots. Speaking of hot spots, I'd like Amy Adams to drop by occasionally. Plus the island should have a few decent restaurants and well-stocked bars within easy walking distance. And a library would be nice. On the island's sound system, I'd like a lot of Thelonius Monk and Ornette Coleman but prefer no post-Beatles or Stones tunes, please. I've had enough "roughing it," thanks.