Desert Island Smokes...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dock

Reaction score
Ok,

You're on a desert island with nothing but a bloodied "Wilson" brand volleyball to hang with.The tobacco gods decide to bless you with one brand of pipe and tobacco blend until you finally "raft" your way home...

What Tobacco Do You Choose?...

What Brand of Pipe Do You Choose?...

For me:
Navy Flake &
An Older GBD

Discuss.

Dock
:pipe:

It was a close call between Dark Flake and Escudo, but Escudo won in that a steady diet of Dark Flake would, I fear, prove overwhelming.

Pipe would be a Cavicchi 1C group 5 rough.

Tough question, Dock! I have several likely candidates, including several C&D blends, but right now I would have to go with Peretti's BPC and a Mark Tinsky billiard.

Smokey

Tough question, Dock! I have several likely candidates, including several C&D blends, but right now I would have to go with Peretti's BPC and a Mark Tinsky billiard.

Smokey

Hi Dock,

I rarely respond to these threads because I have 10 blends I would hate to be without, and the number keeps growing. In the past I've posted Penzance, FVF, 633, & Long Golden Flake. Any of these would serve me well. But at this moment in time, I agree with Alfredo and I'll take some Escudo.

Pipe selection is quite difficult as well, but I think I'd go with my '72 bent Dunhill Root Briar.

Whew, I now need to go lie down.

TC

Tobacco has to be a strong English blend that won't bore me. Lots to choose from but I select Fairmorn's Black Bayou Mist. Any Castello pipe of mine will do, but on an island my searock GG75 would be perfect.

For those not familiar with Fairmorn bulks go to MarsCigar.com and check out the Mist, Lancer's Slices, etc.

Escudo and my Rad Davis poker...

nope...

Barbary Coast in my Mike Brissett birthday billiard! Final answer!

A 55 lb. bale of Old Gowrie and my Brissett Lavot/poker. Can I assume I'm not marooned with just one type/case of bourbon? And hell would be, no matches or lighter!!!
:twisted:

Natch

Really tough to answer and be truthful for the simple reason that whatever the blend, it would get tiresome eventually. Nothing beats variety!

You mentioned that you could pick a carver and not just a single pipe, so I'm assuming that I'd have a fair rotation of pipes by a single carver. In that case, the pipe part of the equation is easy, I pick 2 dozen Castellos :D

The tough part is that my single favorite tobacco is Bobs chocolate flake and I actually don't smoke this blend in any of my Castellos because they tend to perform much better (IMHO) with other blends and don't seem to be too fond of BCF. I suppose I could smoke Squadron Leader daily, or a simple burley everyday and be happy with both the smoke and the pipe/tobacco combination :scratch:

Easiest question ever answered.

Pipes are old Peterson 80S smooths.

Tobacco is the last remaining tin of Balkan Sobranie Virginian Nr.10. Which (because the Desert Island genies have smiled) is still good, doesn't dry out, and replenishes itself every night.

Modern tobac would be Zero's Cut Maduro Cake, most likely (although getting to compare-&-contrast it with "Nocturne" before pulling the trigger would be necessary).

:face:

Something subtle and complex,

Something with nuance,

Something Pease,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Embarcadero!

Something bold and assertive with many layers,

Something Pease,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Blackpoint Flake, Abingdon, Odyssey!

Something new and exciting,

Something Pease,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Maduro Cut Cake, Maltese Falcon!

Since I'm :king: , I'll take my whole cellar.

Then yous guys can swim over from your desert islands and we'll have a Smoker.

Oh Yeah,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I need my kick ass stereo and cd collection.

And plenty of Table Mountain range fed beef,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and Vitos wine cellar.

We'll smoke, eat, drink, listen to DAWG,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,then :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep:

It would have to be GLP Filmore in 2oz tins. A very close 2nd would be SG FVF in 50gr. tins. And for the pipe, my #55 Castello. I'll be busy for the next few days, I'm building a raft to sail south to Tj's island for the smoker....

Funny thing is I was going to say TJ's cellar for my tobacco choice too! :lol:

The first brand of higher end pipes I am purchasing are Ser Jacopo's and they smoke great for me. I would choose a bent design. Currently my favorite is a Picta # 10.

The tobacco choice would be more difficult. Since I am a fairly new smoker, I tend toward mild aromatics. This month I would choose Trout Stream.

I think it's terrific that y'all can pick a go-to weedage like that, but there is no possibility of my being able to answer such a question. I simply cannot settle on one tobacco, nor do I find any enjoyment in contemplating such a prospect. Forcing myself to do so would inevitably result in my smoking very little or not at all. PD nailed it: even my current "all-time" favorite — PCCA Jubilee — would become tiresome if I smoked it and nothing else. If youse guys are different, so be it. Temet nosce.

Look, this is easy. I'm just going to stay away from the ocean, and then this whole desert island thing won't ever come up. I'll be over at TJ's with a hefty stash o' weed and wine. Y'all give us a call when you get back. :mrgreen:

Vito :joker:

Blend would be Pembroke (or if I get to pick a cellar it would be Ken's aka pipetongue1 :shock: ).

Pipe would probably be my Mike Brissett Poker with interchangeable stems (churchwarden or normal size).

:poncho:

I think if I was being put off a ship and could only take one pipe and one tobacco I would have to choose my Viprati which will smoke anything I put in it without hesitation, and some Virginia Woods. I'm a big fan of latakia, but I don't know how long I could smoke it on a hot deserted island.

As some of the others have hinted at, though, I think we should take up a collection and send TJ on a cruise. We, the faithful, shall patiently await his return in the immediate vicinity of his cellar. We will allow him to take one pipe and one tobacco...just in case. 8)

BTW, TJ, how did you become :king: of Huggie's board? Or his he :farao:

showme

Dunhill Shell group six straight billiard tapered stem and Robusto.

Of course, I would send wise guys out on raids to neighboring islands to "trade."

Ever since I started smoking a pipe my favorite tobacco has been 2015, after that its the Rattrays Va's and LGflake. My favoritte shape of pipe is the Hawkbill. Back in the 60's it would have been differant :affraid: :tongue: :cyclops:

Would have to be my ruby red smooth Peterson Dublin packed repeatedly with Pirate Kake :pirat: or Star of the East :star:. I am assuming it is a chilly Desert Island, as I don't particularly enjoy smoking anything when the weather is too warm :|