Determine the Tobacco Volume for Virtually any Pipe

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pipemaker

Broken Pipe
Reaction score
Credit goes to Fr_Tom for the concept and for laying the groundwork of this post.

A simple, easy to use chart for determining the volume of the tobacco chamber of a pipe, new or used, with or without cake.
All you need is the diameter of the hole at the top and the height (depth) of the chamber.

Mike

0vwp.jpg

WAAAAAAAY to OCD !!!! Pipe smoking's supposed to be a leisure type of activity, NOT a math project :twisted: :twisted: 

monbla256":haf65i12 said:
WAAAAAAAY to OCD !!!! Pipe smoking's supposed to be a leisure type of activity, NOT a math project  :twisted: :twisted: 
Who cares? If you like the data and it adds a level of enjoyment for someone, there is no harm. No one is saying this is the only way to enjoy the hobby.

Since I'm a pipe maker this data is helpful in giving the consumer a better idea of the pipe before they purchase it. Some pipes have large bowls and small shape, others are a tiny bowl in a huge block. This is helpful where group sizes don't give enough information.

pipemaker":35evr95a said:
... A simple, easy to use chart for determining the volume of the tobacco chamber of a pipe ...
:fpalm: :roll: :p

23uwsh0.jpg

monbla256":35evr95a said:
WAAAAAAAY to OCD !!!! Pipe smoking's supposed to be a leisure type of activity, NOT a math project :twisted: :twisted:
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: 

I know we all have our own ways and whatnot, blah blah blah, but good lawd this seems excessively anally retentive to me too.   I've always had full confidence in the ol' eyeball method personally, and it's not let me down yet.    

The eye doesn't lie.    :cyclops:           :arrow:

I apologize if this post offends or irritates anyone.

That was not my intention when I posted it.

Happy smoking to all.

Mike B

pipemaker":p4bnvu5t said:

Happy smoking to all.

Mike B
I think it is very informative and clears up the Dunhill sizing questions and no one should take offense certainly not I.

Interesting bit of information there whether you use it or not,,,and whether it irritates you or not.(lighten up guys)

I think it's cool reference factoid. 8) 

I have most of my pipes measured just by how many cubed up flakes they hold. :lol:

Pretty neat formula, now I can use that to calculate volume for my Magnums.
A lot like coffee. 2 big scoops. :shock: 

Cartaphilus":vn9w1xtx said:
pipemaker":vn9w1xtx said:

Happy smoking to all.

Mike B
I think it is very informative and clears up the Dunhill sizing questions and no one should take offense certainly not I.
I agree!

Maybe I missed something, but doesn't the size of the airway (I know that many artisans prefer 5/32") play a role in this as well?