Did you have Dungeons & Dragon Days?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Valdus

Reaction score
Inspired by the popular childhood toys thread, I wondered how many in the brotherhood were (are) into role-playing games. I noted that many members are in my age bracket, so I am sure the D&D sickness must have hit my generation pretty hard. In fact, my logo is the 1981 edition of D&D that I cherish and have to this day, waiting to teach my son.

Back in the 1980's, I hid from the pop-world in the pages of a Dungeons & Dragons book. I don't think I came out of that bunker until the very late 80's when I went to Rutgers. There games awaited me of a different sort.

Perhaps it is its medieval quality, with the help of the Lord of the Rings films no doubt, fantasy role playing games always had space for pipes. I once played with a dungeon master in a cavernous New Jersey basement, that smoked what I now think was an Oom Paul. Unfortunately back then I was not into pipes. Now I am into pipes but live in a town that plays its games on the streets rather than on a tabletop.

Anyone else?

Used to play D&D for days on end, fueled by Pepsi and potato chips. Originally got introduced in the very early 80's as my eldest brother (a terrific DM) and his friends would gather for campaigns. Eventually I was invited to participate and thus began a love affair for many years thereafter.

I'm with you brother. :cheers: :cheers:

I played everything from the original four leaflet set, through the blue book basic rules and into the hard cover AD&D!

Zork 1 : The Great Underground Empire

West of House
You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
There is a small mailbox here.

>_

Carlos":t9f468u8 said:
Zork 1 : The Great Underground Empire

West of House
You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
There is a small mailbox here.

>_
Did all 3 Zorks.

-xyzzy

Yes!

We had all the hard cover books, everything from the DM guide to the Players Handbook and Monster Manuals.

I remember buying and playing a variety modules Borderlands, Lost City, Crystal Cave, In Search of the Unknown. Fun Times.

I adored Keep on the Borderlands. I once DMed online (play by post) and the keep became host to many an adventure. It was difficult to keep track of that Keep!

I did a lot of the Infocom stuff. Text adventures. All the Zork's, Starcross, others. Then some arcade-like stuff on the C-64. Paradroid comes to mind. Then into the early 486 computers. Did that whole Doom thing. Heretic, Hexen, Quake. The variants, II, III. Fallout and most of that chain. Half-Life and that series. Unreal. I prefer FPS. So the multi-crap holds no interest for me. Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim.

Yep. Played original D&D (your logo) and AD&D first and second editions. The third edition messed with things (with some improvements...), but I had finally had my fill. That was about fifteen years ago, so I was hooked for quite a while.

Did a number of GenCons as well. Both when it was at the U of W in Kenosha (each event had a classroom !) and when it outgrew the U and went to Milwaukee.