Different Culture, Different Role Model

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A true role model...

stalin.jpg

:shock:

I'm just a wee bit leary of a pipe seller who doesn't even know which way the bit goes!!! And there are quite a few on eBay!!! FTRPLT

ratherly I will be regret I didn't just pass on that looking at that one. Rad, you been designing a new generation while MT's back east fishin?

:lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!:

Bd

Never Forget!

Well for those of us who need a bi-focal, that would make it easier to avoid charring the rim. :pipe:

NEW Fashion Style Vintage Tobacco Smoke Smoking Pipe

Description:

This Classic Pipe is a classic vintage pipe,and it is really has gentleman's style.and you can acquire spirit through cigarette smoking by this utensil.just like former Russian leader Stalin.always can get inspiration by cigarette pipe smoking.

This kinds of Smoking Pipe is made of fine material,and the technic is absolutely superior.If you don't choose it, ratherly you will be regret.
Artful model design,fine outlook,will make the holder be more gentle and elegant.
Damn. :lol!:

The only explanation I can imagine is someone wrote their description in one of these:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Chinese_dialects

...cranked it through Google's translator, and posted the result. Funny stuff.

Too bad it wasn't one of your pipes Rad. That would be worth printing off and framing for your workshop wall. :lol:

They said they would ship worldwide, except,,,,,,,,,,insert list of about eight countries including Hong Kong.

Item location is Hong Kong.

We have a similar situation here in Sonora, Ca. If you mail something in Sonora TO a Sonora address it first gets sent 90 miles to Stockton who sends it back to the Post Office here in Sonora for delivery.

Specifically, it goes like this. If I send my next door neighbor a letter, say a X-mas card, I put it in my mailbox, flip up the little red flag to alert the postlady. She picks it up and drives it around all day in her little Postal Jeep, then takes it to the Sonora Post Office. They ship it 90 miles to Stockton who ships it back to Sonora. Back it goes in the same Postal Jeep for delivery to my neighbors mail box which is on the same post that mine is on.

There isn't any way else we can handle billions of letters. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Winslow

We,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,?

Art, the neighbor, is embarassed because he didn't send me a X-mas card. Sooooo, he sends me one in a hurry. You guessed it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,same thing.

LL has it right. Coming from Hong Kong, it probably was originally “written” in Chinese. The individual dialects spoken are, in many instances, unintelligible to speakers of other dialects, but it no matter the dialect, the written language is basically the same. So if a Beijinger is speaking to a Hong Konger, and having communication problems, they can just write it out and be understood.

Still, I find it odd the reference to Stalin, as he is not particularly popular here (I’m in Shanghai as I write this). Almost all the locals I interact with, including many Party Members, generally agree that even Mao was right 70% of the time and wrong 30% (and many will state that his “mistakes” were sometimes doozies!). When you jump over to Marx and Engels, well, they were the founders of the political philosophy that predominates here, and so respected in a historical context. When you take the next step, to the implementation of that system by Lennon and Stalin, I find the Chinese usually have the same perspective as the Russians. That being that Lennon was smart, got the system through a tough/crazy time in Russia’s history, but that Stalin was a paranoid maniac at best. These are my observations from spending a fair amount of time in these countries, however, and I’m sure some political historians might have a different view.

The translation into English is just about what I would expect, as I see this every day when you translate an Asian language into any of the Indo-European languages. The whole construct of language is so critically tied to culture, and not only do we not have words to describe words that they have, (and vice versa of course), but they have whole “families” of words that don’t exist in our English. The following pix I took in Suzhou last weekend, and as my Chinese friends read it, it made perfect sense to them, aside from the typing errors. Makes you wonder how many wars in history were started by someone trying to say, “you have beautiful women in your country”, and it came across as, “your wife is whore that sleeps with donkeys”.

:affraid:

p1000210.jpg

Natch

I am adding another post to this thread because I feel like I should, and I can. I have lived in enough diff cultures/countries to realize a lot can be lost and or confused in translations, and should have kept that in mind. Hell look at the spelling, puntuation, and so forth from some of mine for that matter. Also, I let it slip my mind that China is, after all, still a communist country, thankfully not run by people as maniacally crazy as Joseph Stalin. They no longer wish to take us out with military might, they are doing a fine job economically. That said, I will return to the primary purpose of this post. What the 'hell' is with that pipe?? Did a non pipe smoker assemble it?

Bd

Never Forget!

Bruce,

I've seen that more than once on eBay, where a 1/2 or 3/4 bent stem is rotated "upside-down". Basically, I think it's a pipe for those that like to dump burning embers in their lap while smoking. It's especially enjoyable while driving. :affraid:

Natch