Different Stems

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old_Woodsman

Reaction score
Hi,

As a relative newbie (well returning anyway!) can someone explain the functions of the different bits on the end of the stem, Dental, P-Lip, Standard, Fish Tail...etc - when ordering a new pipe I want to make sure I am ordering the correct mouthpiece for me. I sometimes 'clench; and sometimes allow the pipe to hang on in there!! :unsure:

Thanks,

Old Woodsman

I think if you either clench or let the pipe hang, it depends on the weight of the pipe more than anything else. If it hangs
in your mouth and you are comfortable with it, that's what matters. I have P-lips and fish tails that I like and don't like. I think
it just matters about the individuals' preference.

I guess I really didn't answer your question. I don't know what a dental stem is. Maybe someone else here can
chime in on this. The P-lip is specifically made by Peterson for their pipes. The mouthpiece has the drawhole on the
top of the button instead of at the end like standard or fish-tail mouthpieces. I think standard and fishtail are the
same.

Last edited: