Different temperatures different pipes and tobacco

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishnbanjo

Broken Pipe
Reaction score
So Monday temps went from 49F to 65F when the sun broke through and I got to enjoy several different pipes including my straight grain by Anne Julie.

54f25d9463525e9e240d94854c6d55dff5fc04e.jpg

Yesterday was like being on another planet when the temperature was 87F In the shade so pretty much stuck with cobs and my home brew called 50/50 in honor of it being 50% Special Virginia and 50% Burley.

8c235529421f5d14ebb62edbddf4c3400da3228.jpeg

Today I had to go have a staging CT Scan to check my spleen which has been enlarged from my Mantle Cell Lymphoma will be sleeping with the 1" needle in my chest tonight due to having my weekly ivIG infusion early tomorrow morning.

Temperatures today are glorious, a nice light breeze and 72F a perfect day for some 39 y/o Mac Baren Dark Twist Roll Cake in the S. Yanik Meerschaum Skull, keep it smokey!
banjo

653256d46b562e2d2e7de71c8b29dde07ec9df4.jpeg

Cripes Banjo, that 'meer is one heck of a pipe.

A question for you Sir; why cobs in the warmer weather as opposed to a briar?

When the temperature changes as drastically as that and bring high humidity I find my cobs smoke better for me, of course my choice of tobacco plays a role in that as well since I only smoke the 50/50 in my cobs and rock cob.

I will smoke briars once the temperature settles down and I choose lighter tobacco's and my Strawberrywood, Olivewood and Morta pipes will get their chance as well saving my really small capacity bowl pipes for that last smoke of the day when I crave some Latakia before bedtime.
banjo

Stick":1dvm5o16 said:

fishnbanjo":98gntbnk said:
When the temperature changes as drastically as that and bring high humidity I find my cobs smoke better for me, of course my choice of tobacco plays a role in that as well since I only smoke the 50/50 in my cobs and rock cob.

I will smoke briars once the temperature settles down and I choose lighter tobacco's and my Strawberrywood, Olivewood and Morta pipes will get their chance as well saving my really small capacity bowl pipes for that last smoke of the day when I crave some Latakia before bedtime.
banjo

Stick":98gntbnk said:

Thanks Banjo. That makes complete sense. I was wondering if I was missing something, however the temps in the UK rarely get to the point of being hugely uncomfortable so it has never been an issue for me.

Still recon I need a cob though!

Yip, every smoker needs at least one cob! Nothing will ever be able to stand up against briar for beauty, but a cob is so convenient for a kick-about pipe. And good to use as taster pipe with new blends.

I have two or three briars that still perform very, very well when the humidity goes up in the summer, but otherwise I'm with you. Most of briars well get more rest than usual in favor of the cobs. I've got 6 cobs that I use - two get more use than the others (I just love the feel of the Great Dane spool and spindle), but they'll all see their share of tobacco over the next few months.