Digging through my tobacco larder and...HoCheMunga!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Natch

Geographer Ultimo
B of B Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone out there remember Levin Tobaccos? A 1988 tin of his Virginia Woods was hiding in the bottom of a box. Notice how they don't just stamp the date on the bottom of the can, but personalize the labels for each month's production. Then I stumble upon 9 soup cans I purchased from the Bufflehead Shop. Back in '02 they would buy bulk Lakelands, repackage 7 to 9 ounces into plastic bags, then seal them into a large soup can. Pretty clever way to age bulk tobacco. Eight of them are GH&Co blends, but one was perhaps the last of their King Eider?

I really should go digging around the basement more, as I also found two mousetraps that did their work perhaps months ago, (and I've wondered where that smell was coming from). As they were near a pile of my yet-to-be-washed clothes, I thought it was just me I was smelling.

Attachments

• IMG_2865.JPG
    IMG_2865.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 110
  • IMG_2866.JPG
    IMG_2866.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 106
  • IMG_2867.JPG
    IMG_2867.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 110
Natch...you might be highly surprised at the asking price/s for your Levin's and Bufflehead tins. Don't now about the GH & Co ones. FTRPLT

I believe Levin = McClelland
Yes, I've always been a bit confused about that (and most of the rest of the world's events as well). Did they buy the blend names and recipes, or move the original production from Vermont to KC, or did I just imagine this all happened at the end of a night of heavy drinking? Perhaps wiser minds than mine will give us this history?

As I recall, 2005 was about the time David threw in the towel at the Bufflehead Shop. I acquired a fair number of tins. And some King Eider as well.

“I also found two mousetraps that did their work perhaps months ago, (and I've wondered where that smell was coming from). As they were near a pile of my yet-to-be-washed clothes, I thought it was just me I was smelling.”

Really? Do I have to say it? It was Gawith 1792 Flake! DUH!

My understanding of the situation was that Levin's would repackage bulk tobacco from McClellands into tins and resell them. Presumably for aging. Now obviously also G&H blends too.

Wasn't Levin the exclusive McClelland distributor for a while? For a long while? My memory is hazy (I stopped buying tins many a-year ago), but I think I remember a Levin sticker or something on all McClelland tins. Possibly Levin dealing with international distribution, which is a huge task?

“I also found two mousetraps that did their work perhaps months ago, (and I've wondered where that smell was coming from). As they were near a pile of my yet-to-be-washed clothes, I thought it was just me I was smelling.”

Really? Do I have to say it? It was Gawith 1792 Flake! DUH!
No no no! I have a small jar of 1792 and if I get within 10 feet of it (still sealed) I lapse into projectile vomiting. A week-old damp, fermenting pile of my work duds doesn't reach the level of 1792.

I think David Windsor/Bufflehead might have tinned some bulk Dunhill blends in addition to McClelland.
I’m actively looking for the non generic Bufflehead tins for my personal collection that I display on my hearth if anyone has they want to move or trade for. :geek: