Disappointed in a Peterson

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

Idlefellow

Reaction score
I bought this Pete Sherlock Holmes edition Squire from Smokingpipes in February. Haven't smoke it yet; waiting for the right time. Last night I took it from the rack and noticed these three large flaws; can't believe I never noticed them before! At first I thought they were huge fills, but the grain is evident throughout. Maybe they are spots that didn't take stain? Never seen anything like it. I emailed Smokingpipes and got a prompt response from Chris who said I could return the pipe of course, or wait until Monday when he could show my photo to his supervisor. I'll wait, but I expect they'll just say send it back. I'm really bummed. I love the shape, and I really like this particular pipe and the color, but I don't think I can live with it in this condition :cry:. I asked if he had another comparable Squire but no response as yet.

ftrplt

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
There are other Peterson threads here that discuss this subject. My standard reply is overall I love Peterson's shapes (classic English!) but truly despise their quality control or lack thereof!!! For some reason, Peterson thinks gaping flaws and sneaky fills are OK!! I have a Kinsale XL26 with such a crappy, though smaller, flaw/fill such as yours. Plus a Shamrock with a dark brown fill starring right at me as I smoke it!! My Mark Twain has a "hidden" fill that just plain azz pisses me off!! Soooo...I quite buyin'em!! I would hope that Sykes Williford's ownership would have corrected this situation; I guess not. Keep sendin'em back!!!!! FTRPLT

Idlefellow

Reaction score
It's one reason I often buy blasts or rusticated pipes - not that the flaws aren't there, but I can't see them and don't know about 'em! Some shapes just call for a smooth finish though, and this is one in my opinion. I've got 23 other Petersons with no real complaints so I guess I've been pretty lucky. I did have to send my first Mycroft back as it had a very poor finish. I know Smokingpipes will make it right; I just hate it as I really love this shape in this finish.

Ranger107

Reaction score
Several months ago I bought a Pete Jekyl &Hyde from Iwan Reiss. Looked fine but smoked like crap. Had a couple of bad hot spots and I mean hot. Smoking slow and after 5 minutes there was a spot on the front of the bowl that would literally burn my hand. Sent it back and told them I didn't want it as I was sure it would "burn out" at some point. They gave me store credit and I bought two vauens for the same price. Really disappointing as my other Petes (5) smoke great.

Mikem

Reaction score
I have a couple of Peterson's with flaws, fortunately with no hot spots and good smokers. I own several Vauens and Jirsa's (a couple of which are considered their high grades) and think for the money they can't be beat. One of the Jirsa's I initially had issues with but blame the local shop where I purchased it. The guy behind the counter would clean with a mystery cleaner inside and outside the bowl on new pipes purchased and would leave a nasty taste for several bowls.

Idlefellow

Reaction score
Smoking pipes suggested I send to in to see if their restorers could do anything with it. Got the verdict today; nope! They gave me a full refund on the purchase price (though I did have to haggle with them a little on the return shipping which they agreed beforehand to pay: they wanted to give it to me as a house credit which I didn't think was fair) but I really did like that pipe :cry: . I'm in the market for a smooth Squire if anybody knows of one; have a couple spotted but they're not terracotta and I really liked that finish!

WTHall

Reaction score
Idlefellow, You know, briars are living things - well, once were. These spots don't look like fills to me, but definitely some sort of flaw. Other posters mentioned 'hot spots,' which I think you'd encounter if you stayed with this pipe. Return appears to be the answer. Good luck.

Idlefellow

Reaction score
Ordered another Squire, this one on ebay from Harrison Simmonds. They were super helpful; sent me detailed photos of the two they had in stock and I picked the one I preferred. I told them my story of the last one and asked them to look this one over carefully for flaws since they're in England and I didn't want to send it back; they assured me that they did. They seem like really great folks. This one is the "dark" finish; I really wanted another terra cotta but they said they didn't know when, if ever, those would be available. It's in route so we'll see how I did 🙏.

Timbo

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry to make you paranoid Idle, but Petereson tend to use their dark stains on pipes with fills. All my dark Pete's have a fill or two, not that a fill matters to me at all, they smoke just as well as the rest of them.

Idlefellow

Reaction score
I'm sure that's true but as long as it ain't huge I'm OK with it. I have a SH Strand in the dark and really like it; beautiful grain, and if there a fill I can't see it...