Disappointed in a Peterson

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It seems I am destined NOT to own this pipe! It's been a month since I placed the order (from England) and the last tracking update was May 22. I fear it's lost; I filed a request for a refund today :cry: .

Well wonder of wonders! Shortly after I filed for a refund the tracking picked up, and the pipe arrived yesterday! It's nicely grained, although typical of Peterson's offerings it doesn't carry through evenly on the pipe, but there is figure throughout. I can't see any obvious fills or laws. I really did like the Terra Cotta finish, but as it stands, I'm OK with this one...

YvfHrpTl.jpg

I have a Petersen poker, I believe it was part of a Mark Twain set - and as I love the poker shape, i have smoked it, but not a great deal. To my dismay, the lacquer (I assume that is what it is) has gotten cloudy at the intersection of the stummell and the bowl - and has turned milky white. I assume the heat has turned it, but good grief - the top side? Well what was a very pretty pipe looks like ass - for what this set costs, I expected better. I have a couple of Petersens from the 80’s and they are spectacular, but I am not going to plunk down for another any time soon.

I have a Petersen poker, I believe it was part of a Mark Twain set - and as I love the poker shape, i have smoked it, but not a great deal. To my dismay, the lacquer (I assume that is what it is) has gotten cloudy at the intersection of the stummell and the bowl - and has turned milky white. I assume the heat has turned it, but good grief - the top side? Well what was a very pretty pipe looks like ass - for what this set costs, I expected better. I have a couple of Petersens from the 80’s and they are spectacular, but I am not going to plunk down for another any time soon.

Sounds like it's time to get out the varying grit sandpapers...

@Idlefellow: Glad you finally received your pipe. The Squire shape is one of the nicest Peterson has to offer. I wish many years of good smokes with it!

I’ll echo what some others have said, I think flaws are typical for Peterson’s, at least the low to mid range ones I’ve owned. If it bothers you get rid of it, otherwise see how it smokes.

I liked my Peterson’s for fishing, yard work, etc.