Discolored Stem

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 4351

Reaction score
I just bought a pipe with a regular black stem in what looks like some kind of plastic. Because the pipe was sitting on a shelf for God knows how long, the first thing I did was give it a good and gentle cleaning...or so I thought. I dipped a pipe cleaner in the bourbon whiskey I've cleaned my other pipes with, and rubbed the inside and outside of the stem. Within seconds, the top of my pipe stem went from solid black to a lighter gray. Wetting the pipe stem returns it to black, but as soon as it dries, it's got that gray "scrape" pattern on it, though there's no roughness to it.

While I don't really care from an aesthetic perspective, I'm concerned about whether I've damaged my new pipe and whether I should take steps to replace the stem now. What about cleaning it in the future?

The stem has oxidised, can you get someone to buff it up for you? If not put some Bar Keepers Friend on to a damp kitchen towel and start rubbing to get rid of the crud, keep at it for a while but it works then put some Lip-Sil on the stem and rub it in to achieve a nice black stem again.

allyby":tncrlbmj said:
The stem has oxidised, can you get someone to buff it up for you? If not put some Bar Keepers Friend on to a damp kitchen towel and start rubbing to get rid of the crud, keep at it for a while but it works then put some Lip-Sil on the stem and rub it in to achieve a nice black stem again.
Dang, I didn't even know that could happen to a plastic stem. I don't have access to a buffer, but I can get some Bar Keeper's Friend. The product I'm not familiar with is Lip-Sil. I did a Google search and it came back with Lypsyl, a kind of lip balm. Is that what I need?

That's the one, here's a video.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/XuAj4h9r6kk" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen ></iframe>

allyby":9uujb3xl said:
That's the one, here's a video.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/XuAj4h9r6kk" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen ></iframe>
Thank you for your help.

It sounds like your stem is probably vulcanite and not plastic, and as allyby stated has oxidized.

Another product I’ve had good success with is Walker Briarworks stem restore kit, which consists of an abrasive cleaner designed specifically for vulcanite that removes the oxidation and a carnauba polish/sealer to bring back the shine and help prevent oxidation. It takes a little “elbow grease” but I’ve brought some pretty green stems back to jet black with a little work. A good alternative if you don’t have a buffer.

No matter what method you choose the goal is to actually remove the oxidation, not simply hide it.

As a follow up to the stem restore I apply obsidian oil, it adds a level of gloss the carnauba polish in the kit doesn’t quite achieve.