Discord Chat

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's very good Geoff. Very interested to see how this pans out. I'll be getting myself set up over the weekend :)

For those of us non tech savvy mortals, can you explain what this app is, how it works, any negatives? I just looked at the download page for it in the Apple app store and it says it is a gaming voice and text app. Usually anything gaming I walk away from.

Puff Daddy":m06l9h4b said:
For those of us non tech savvy mortals, can you explain what this app is, how it works, any negatives? I just looked at the download page for it in the Apple app store and it says it is a gaming voice and text app. Usually anything gaming I walk away from.
Me too.

The app was made for gamers to do group chats while they play together. That is pretty much the extent of it. It is a message app that allows you to create channels for various topics, for us I see no need other then one channel. It also has a group voice chat that can also be broken down to channels, which I doubt we would need but it is there. Think of channels as topics on our forum. It is no different then Slack, another messaging app other then Slack requires paid or it is difficult to add people.

Channels can be muted, notifications turned off. It has features for managing membership, banning bad actors and such similar to this forum. Only difference is it is real time group messaging and very easy to use.

Here is an example of the Discord group I did for the local B&M.  Blurred out some text since I don't have permission to show folks actual chats or names.

VDmQGy8.png" style="width: 203px;height: 156px

See full size image at https://i.imgur.com/VDmQGy8.png

Being a gamer, I can assure folks that there is nothing intrinsically "gaming" about discord. It was simply created to fill a need in the gaming community, i.e. a free platform where gaming raiders could talk in real time. It has since become sort of the de facto chat engine for virtually anything.

OK, one more question then. We already have a chat feature at the bottom of the home page, nobody ever seems to use it. How would this be different?

If my understanding's correct, the main difference will be video versus text.

My thoughts are it'll be nice on the odd occasion to share a smoke with some like minded types from the BoB. It's extremely rare that I get to share a pipe with anyone so it would be nice to have the means to do so. Doubt I'll be able to spend much time there due to family commitments but it'll be great to have that option when I do. Keen to explore an opportunity and see how it goes. :)

Discord does not do video chat, I have it setup to do text chat only.

The difference between the chat window on the front page vs Discord and why I believe nobody uses it:
  • Chat window is widget vs Discord is a full blown application
  • When you join the chat window you don't see history inline and have to interrupt chat by opening another window vs Discord history is preserved and scroll able even if everyone logged off
  • Chat window puts a login in count in 6 pt font on the front page. If you are like most users you never look at the front page and just use Recent threads feature. Likewise the chat window does not notify you when a new message is posted. Discord app will notify you when posts are made just like your text message app on Desktop or mobile apps
  • Chat window is not conducive to mobile use. Discord has mobile apps tailored to the experience.
  • Chat window logs you out after 10 minutes of inactivity. Discord does not log you out if the app is open.

Considering the five discord groups i'm on are 1 on movies, 3 tobacco groups and 1 on music I think labeling the tech as "gamers only" is a gross misrepresentation.