Dive

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaiser83

Reaction score
Welp I have been going down to the Afghani barber about twice a week now for a shave, which only costs $2 but he is ecstatic with $5 and spends a little extra time making sure the shave is perfect. Anyhow it has come time for me to order my own straight razor with all the goodies, and a styptic stick of course. I found one I like that is a blade I will have to sharpen myself, which I am not overly concerned with since I grew up around blades. But I wonder how much easier it'd be to rock one with replaceable blades to start with. Any opinion on that ponderance would be stellar. I'll get myself a good badger brush and soap and strop of course regardless of the direction I go to start. I thought about the Dovo Shavette but wondered about y'alls opinion. Thanks.

Man, you're venturing into interesting territory. I've wanted to use a straight razor on my bald head for years, but the other day I nicked it with a bad disposable razor and it bled for days. I can't imagine actually cutting myself with one of those suckers.

Call me chicken, but I've thoughtfully decided it's not for me. I imagine if you take the time to follow all the proper preparations and so on, that it's gotta be the best shave you can get.

Good luck. Oh, and if I "did" ever use one, I'd totally go with one I had to sharpen myself.

I've got a straight razor, but haven't worked up the courage to use it yet. :pale:

I think getting one with disposable blades is a good idea, you can get a feel for how to hold it and what its like to shave with it. I know Im glad I bought the disposable blade model first because although I do like useing it ounce in a wile I dont like it enough to invest in a straight. The one I have is a Monsieur Charles from Bestshaveingandgroomingtools.com.

I use a straight or a Feather AC almost exclusively. Its not as scary as it looks.. I would spend the extra dime for a Feather over the Dovo Shavette.

Also the difference between disposable blade and actual straight is as different as a DE and straight... The angles, weight, and pressure/negative pressure are all totally different.

Hey...

If you do decide on a straight.....

www.straightrazordesigns.com. Nobody gets a razor sharper than Lynn.

www.thesuperiorshave.com the closest you can get to hand selection in etail.

If your willing to go used.. www.badgerandblade.com classifieds usually have some good deals.

I've been using a straight razor for a few months longer than I've smoked a pipe. 26 years. I'd say get one you have to sharpen they are totally different than a disposable blade model. I have 15 regular vs. 1 disposable. Also keep in mind there are different width blades and styles of points. My preference is a 3/8 straight point but if you're gonna be shaving your upper lip you might want the French tip. Just my .02 for what it's worth. Oh and welcome to the joys of a proper shave brother!

Jim

Good Lloyd. .. I had a 4/8 I gifted away..
Give me a 6/8 full hollow round anyway..
I like to cruise in a caddy instead of quarter mile a mustang. :). (says the man that more often than not shaves with a Feather AC.. lol)

Thanks for all the advice brothers. One of the other brothers here pm'd me and mailed me a couple straights so I am going to give it a whirl and am definitely looking forward to it.

I am also going http://www.thesuperiorshave.com/straight_razor_gift_sets.html and getting Dovo #101681, 6/8" Half-Hollow Ground
the Osma gift set here: http://www.thesuperiorshave.com/Shaving_Creams.html

I gave up on trying to figure it all out online, I called them and got the stuff I mentioned above and a mug. I think the total was like 350 or some such amount, but hey it has a styptic stick and my parents sent me band-aids recently so I should be completely good to go with this whole venture. This plus the 4 razors that came in the mail today I should be set up pretty decent. Thanks for all the advice guys.

Well, I visited the site. If you bought everything, you have a $30 stick of deodorant coming in the mail. Not only will your face be as smooth as a baby's behind but you will smell "just ravishing", my friend.

I will point out that the 4 I sent I got in a box of around 10 that I might have paid a 5-spot for. Be a gas if you liked one of them better. I figure they are good American steel from around the turn of the last century. Maybe not quite Solingen; but US through and through.

I didn't have to shave when I was in the service. Part of my Indian heritage, possibly. It a pretty light beard even now but there is enough for a mustache.

Yes, having a high quality, professionally sharpened razor and all that other jazz just to start shaving is ridiculous... :roll:
If god had intended you to waste money so foolishly he'd have given you a wife by now.

Kaiser,

I've been using a disposable straight razor since I started Barbering about 8 yrs ago. I love the old school feel but 3 yrs ago I went in and tried a straight razor. I must have spent months trying to figure it out, buying sharpening stones and reading forums.

Long story short, it ends up being more expensive than a disposable straight and with variable results. I ended up using a disposable because I will always have a sharp edge, you won't be spending all that time honing and stroping, and it's dirt cheap.

For me, as much as I LOVE them, in the end it's all about the shave, and a straight didn't make the cut with today's available options.

My .02c

I bought a straight razor when I was 19 at a flea market. Looked cool, and I was down (maybe even cool) with shaving with it. Cut the piss out of myself 2 or 3 times and threw it out. It was very sharp; my technique?

How could it be your fault when you have your best friend there helping you figure it out?

I can't see the mystique. It is like having to go to the grocery store leading a pack train.

To all the straight razor ludites out there a single word: PANASONIC

Okay so I gave this straight razor thing a whirl. I like it. Granted I cut my face on both sides in the same dang place and nicked myself two other times but they styptic pencil took care of those. I definitely will need better technique because there are places like the bottom of the corner of my jawbone where it feels rough still. There was this weird rock looking thing in the kit that said to wet and rub on face to help with irritation....it confuses me. Now I have to sharpen up the other blades. But with a fly buzzing around annoying me while shaving I am pretty content. You can't even feel it when you cut yourself.

Okay, so i can do it without cutting myself now and even managed the nerve for the up stroke. I dig it. I have one little area where I have a mole....bump....something on my neck that I don't shave over, but everything is getting easier.

kaiser83":8w2g6t0q said:
Okay, so i can do it without cutting myself now and even managed the nerve for the up stroke. I dig it. I have one little area where I have a mole....bump....something on my neck that I don't shave over, but everything is getting easier.
Seriously - you're gonna learn how to  straight shave and then be satisfied walking around with a bearded mole on your neck? :evil: Listen up pardner.....just you man up and slide that fine piece of metal over old moley and then learn to live with the scar!  :twisted:  

BTW respect for taking the plunge and learning how to use a straight razor. I've only recently decided myself to move from a Gillette multi-blade to a DE Safety razor. I find starting the day with a proper shave is a real pleasure but not something to be rushed.

Fraternally

Jers