DIY cake press for storage

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just checked and the one for $13.99 is still in stock.
Minus one, 'cause I ordered one and it was delivered today. It is identical to the $9.99 press; same packaging, same dies, same little instruction sheet.
And as Timbo wrote: "Oh, after filling your press up and pressing it, don't forget to tighten it up further every couple of days."
I've found that after three tightenings, mine have reached the limit.

I had reached the point with my first pressing in the noodle press that the tobacco was hard as a rock and there couldn't be any further tightening. I had filled the tube completely. When I decided to remove the contents, I couldn't unscrew the bottom of the press. It's polished stainless and the bottom screwed on attachment kept sliding in my hand. I thought I might have to get a tool similar to an oil filter wrench. Then the lightbulb in my head brightened. I put on disposable latex gloves and there was no problem unscrewing the bottom attachment. I turned the crank and as the tobacco came out of the tube, the crank was easier and easier to turn. The tobacco is extremely compressed, holding tightly together. On a scale, it weighs exactly 7 oz. I double wrapped it in plastic wrap and put it in a zip lock baggie.

Then, of course, I filled the the press with another of my blends, progressively filling and tightening. It's also an English blend with 42% latakia. Unlike most of my blends, this has toasted burley and Kentucky dark fired. The unique thing about this blend (to me) is that I have no recollection of assembling it. I did smoke a bowl; not bad at all. I like it even with the burley, although it does seem to have more nicotine than my other blends.

I'm due to receive 8 oz. of whole leaf perique. I'm thinking about assembling a blend with red Virginia, toasted red Virginia, Turkish, izmir, smyrna, and perique; no latakia and pressing it in the noodle press. I have to think about proportions of each component to the blend. Suggestions appreciated.

Last edited:
I read that line too fast and because of it, had some wishful thinking. I thought it read:
"When it's time to take the tobacco out, take the bottom off the press and keep screwing till the puck drops out."
I missed a word.
Hehehehe

I received the 8 oz. of whole leaf perique, so now I'm thinking about assembling a blend with red Virginia, toasted red Virginia, burley, Turkish, izmir, smyrna, and perique; no latakia and pressing it in the noodle press. I have to think about proportions of each component to the blend. Suggestions appreciated.
This is where I'm at with the blend:

Last edited:
Further notes on the noodle press.
I decided to press some of the English blend with some cherry that I assembled in this thread: The English Blend With Some Cherry Aromatic
As I noted, after making significant additions, the cherry (to me) has pretty much disappeared, thankfully.
I tightened the press for three consecutive days and the tube of tobacco felt as compressed as it was going to get. I let it sit for several days and intended to remove the compacted tube of tobacco today. I thought to see if I could even turn the crank a bit. It turned several and I'll let it rest again.

Placed the order, below, to add to 2 oz. of whole leaf perique

I figure that if I don't like the blend, sans any latakia, I can add 11 oz.of latakia which will bring the total contents to 27 oz. with latakia 40.7% of the blend, which is right in my usual wheelhouse.

Last edited:

I smoked a couple of bowls and it's not for me without 40% latakia, so I ordered 12 oz. of latakia to add to the blend. What can I say, other than I'm hooked on the smokiness and minimal nicotine of the latakia. (but no cherry)

Last edited:
I love the feedback and updating in this thread. Thanks. Such fun stuff.

Press is $8.25 with free shipping here. For $2.00 more you can get a 3-year Square Trade warranty.

Protect your purchase
3-year protection plan $1.99

• Coverage for product breakdowns and malfunctions

• 100% Parts and labor, no deductibles

• 24/7 customer support

• 5-day service guarantee

• Cancel or transfer anytime (full refund in first 30 days)

A note of caution: For the compressed roll to exit the press easily, be certain that the interior of the press is very clean with no prior tobacco residue. When you clean the inside of the tube be aware that the upper and lower edges of the tube have sharp edges. I learned the hard way, cutting open the skin between my fingers.

I'd noted earlier that the cake rolls I made ranged between 7.2 and 7.5 ounces. I think 7.0 oz. is about ideal.

A note of caution: For the compressed roll to exit the press easily, be certain that the interior of the press is very clean with no prior tobacco residue. When you clean the inside of the tube be aware that the upper and lower edges of the tube have sharp edges. I learned the hard way, cutting open the skin between my fingers.

I'd noted earlier that the cake rolls I made ranged between 7.2 and 7.5 ounces. I think 7.0 oz. is about ideal.
Well, I have learned a lesson, the hard way. This morning I attempted to remove a tightly compressed 7.2 oz cake from the noodle press. The interior liner of the press came out with the roll tightly compressed inside. I had to literally dig the tobacco out in chunks with a screw driver. In order to extricate the liner from the press, I had to unscrew the handle. With a hammer and wood block, I was able to pound the liner back into the press. I think the tobacco had too much moisture when it was put into the press. I reassembled the press and rubbed out the tobacco, then added a significant amount of drier tobacco. I've put tobacco back into the press and reduced the cranking pressure. It'll go untouched for several days. In the future, I'll just use 4 oz of tobacco, no more. Lesson learned!

Am learning how to use the noodle press, finally.
Do not try to use more than 4 oz. of moderately humidified tobacco.
Once the bottom cap is screwed onto the press, I stuffed three wadded up paper towels into the press, screwed on the top cap with the crank and tightened down the towels until they became a spacer, then progressively put tobacco into the press, tightening it down, then loosening and adding more tobacco, repeating until four oz. have been placed and tightened into the press. Unscrew and remove the top cap with the crank. There should be about 1.5+ inches of empty space. Stuff a couple of crumpled paper towels in the space. Put the top back on and turn crank until tight.

You want enough space in the tube, bottom and top, when the paper towels are removed to reverse the top and bottom caps, if necessary, to extricate the compressed tobacco roll from the press. I learned this the hard way.

Again, keep the amount of tobacco to 4 oz. or less, even though there is the temptation to fill the press with more, and don't use tobacco that feels even slightly over humidified.

I had another episode with the internal liner coming out with the tobacco stuck inside it. Fortunately, I had enough paper spacer to remove from the bottom, so after pounding the liner back into the press, so I could reverse the top crank portion and bottom retainer and crank out the compressed tobacco roll. Both top and bottom of the press have the same threading, so switching bottom to top is simple, but you have to have enough empty space to screw on the cranking cap, which makes the stuffed paper toweling necessary in case of a stuck tobacco roll.
If you experience the liner coming out, use a wood block and hammer to gently tap it back into the noodle press without damage.
As I'm using the noodle press, I'm thinking that it's probably a good idea to cut two pieces of 2" diameter dowel or round railing stock, 1" long, for top and bottom spacers.

Last edited: