DIY Home Blend: "GOLDEN HOURS"

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BriarPipeNYC

Reaction score
Posted my cigar-leaf mixture called "PLEASANT MOMENTS".

Here's another called:

"GOLDEN HOURS"

1 part Lane Ltd. "HGL"
1 part McClelland #2050

Sweet, mild and mellow, easy-to-smoke. Slight amount of Latakia and the Orientals in the McC-#2050 give this mixture added interest, and an exotic aroma.

Frank
NYC

I'm not familiar with the Lane product, so I cannot comment on that blend....

As far as 50/50 mixes, I have been really liking Mac Baren's Old Dark Fired Ready Rubbed mixed with GH& Co's Bob's Chocolate Flake. If you have those around you might like the result...

Ozark Wizzard...

Love reading through the recipes for "hybrid" blends.  Thanks for the comments and your mixture sounds interesting, and different.  Never tried any dark fired tobaccos before....but I'm willing.

Frank
NYC

PS: Just did some reading about that Mc Barrens Dark Fired. Interesting, but it sounds like it might put some hair on a saddle horn. And, you blend this with a mild, chocolate aromatic? I'm intrigued.

Now that McClelland is defunct, so now is "Golden Hours". It was a very nice mixture to smoke.

Nothing lasts, forever.

To be honest, with the today's FDA's restrictions/deeming regulations....I'm happy to have ANY pipe-tobacco!
Yeah..it’s getting worse all the time. Pretty sure we’re in the last generation that will be allowed to smoke. Except marijuana that is...it’ll likely soon be legal about everywhere. Weird, right?

Never got to try Golden Hours but on the bright side we can rejoice that the ingredients for your Benediction are still readily available (half Bullseye Flake and half Wilke High Hat). Benediction is an easy to make hybrid that any DIYer can try. It has become part of my permanent rotation, so I'm glad you posted the recipe! :)

I think a lot of home blends were designed around McClelland products...more’s the pity.
Sadly very true here, my blends are not the same without 5100 and the 5100 I've got left is being saved to smoke by itself as I love it, I found it to be a very approachable Virginia that had plenty of flavour and no bite whatsoever. The C&D red Virginia does not hold a candle to it in the slightest and the less said about the Sutcliff recreations, the better, IMHO.