Do any pipemakers other than Peterson offer the P-Lip?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forsooth

Reaction score
I love the P-lip from Peterson.

Do other pipemakers offer a P-lip stem as an option? All I ever see are fishtails.

i know for a fact that savinelli offers a line of pipes with a p-lip style stem. i cannot remember off the top of my head what product line features them, but i will let you know

Savinelli dry system comes with a p type lip its flat instead of round. Ive seen some well pipes from other pipe makers of old that copied petersons.

Savinelli's the only ones I've seen as a brand. I've made a few P-lip type stems on commissions - they are kind of a pain in the ass, but a good, well cut P-lip is a perfectly decent stem imho.

While trolling ebay recently, I found a couple wellington army mounts with the plip. Pretty sure this is completely a peterson knock off, as it is a system pipe, same stem shape (although some are much longer than normal petes). Wasn't sure if it was an original stem or not though, they guy selling them didn't describe them very well/knowledgably.

Thanks for the info. I've got 3 or 4 Wellingtons, and they seem to be quality pipes.

However, their "P-lip" isn't really a P-lip, because the air hole comes straight out of the bit, rather than having Peterson's upturned flair in order to direct smoke toward the roof of the mouth.

In other words, Wellington bits are essentially fishtails, but with a P-lip appearance.

Forsooth-
Cool, thanks for the first hand info. I'm a peterson nut, & recently have been wanting to get some of the peterson clones.

By cheap I meant inexpensive, not poorly made. Didn't mean to disparage your collection.

Regarding the wellington bit, I tried to get a good view of it on the ebay pics. The button matches a pete perfectly, but couldn't see the draw hole.

I have a very old,early 20th century BBB with this lip.From the same time,i also have a C.P.F.calabash with the p-lip.They are not common,but you may find something on pipes of this time period.

What's the deal with the p-lip? What does it do?

In no way am I a Peterson expert, as I've never owned one, but from what I've gathered, the design of the "p-lip" is meant to direct smoke towards the roof of the mouth, and away from the tongue area.
If I'm wrong, I'll apologize in advance for disseminating false information. :scratch:

New guy here, but finally I can speak on a topic I actually know something about. If it weren't for the P-lip I would not smoke a pipe. A fishtail directs smoke directly onto the edge of the tongue, and for me, despite many different pipes, tobaccos, and filling techniques, always resulted in tongue bite. The P-lip has the hole directed up and back, at maybe a 45 degree angle, so the smoke goes above the tongue and hits the palate. As it courses through the mouth it must cool considerably, because I never get "palate bite" from my P-lips. Only drawback? - the bend adds resistance to draw, so some P-lips ( I have a 999 rhodesian I am tying to work on right now) have too tight a draw and feel like sucking a straw in a milkshake, but of the 10 or so P-lips I have, this is the only one that has this problem.

Hope this helps,

Paul

I'm with Harlock, I'm only speculating at the design and how a p-lip system would work. I do want to try one, one day.

My smoking method, even with fish-tail saddle/bits is at the front of the mouth (as I'm not much a clencher, and when I do, it's at my incisors...) and with leverage, the smoke is already going up to the palette and over the top of the tongue. I'd be very curious to see if a p-lip is a frustration or a miracle design for me. The one advantage, because of the shape, it looks like it'd work well with my natural overbite.