Do Churchwardens smoke noticeably cooler?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bent Stem

Reaction score
...Just wondering which pipes make for the coolest smoke. What are your experiences? (I do realize tecnique matters here too).

I do find the smoke from my churchwarden to be rather cool. YMMV.

-Andrew

My churchwarden smokes nice and cool... don't know if it's because of the length, or the bowl size, or because I can't clench and therefore smoke it slower, or some combo. I like the result.

The coolest smoking pipe is a gourd calabash. All other pipes come up short by comparison.

A ChurchWarden does smoke cooler than a regular stemmed pipe, it is because of its length but not why most people think. Doc nailed it. You must smoke slower with a churchwarden. I'm not saying its impossible but its very unpractical to walk,work,etc etc with one. Clenching, yeah sure...lol. When I smoke mine I am most often sitting and reading, hardly conductive to puffing a pipe up.

puros_bran":tscca4eb said:
The coolest smoking pipe is a gourd calabash. All other pipes come up short by comparison.

A ChurchWarden does smoke cooler than a regular stemmed pipe, it is because of its length but not why most people think. Doc nailed it. You must smoke slower with a churchwarden. I'm not saying its impossible but its very unpractical to walk,work,etc etc with one. Clenching, yeah sure...lol. When I smoke mine I am most often sitting and reading, hardly conductive to puffing a pipe up.
So you're saying if I normally smoke a pipe sitting down, taking it easy, as opposed to on-the-go, then I wouldn't notice any difference in the coolness of the smoke between a "regular" pipe and a churchwarden? :?:

Probably not, but you have to remember a large portion of the pipe smoking experience is mental. If you think its better it will be.

compaing the two i have to my 50 some other pipes yes they do smoke considrabley cooler.. only other cold smokers i hve are my meershaumps

I've smoked a churchwarden a few times. It did smoke cool, but I just don't like the long stem.

Mine do, I love my Churchwardens, have four, two Fireside and two no name basket pipes, I like to smoke Nite Cap , EMP, 965, Lancers Slices and Penzance, in them. cobs for burleys