Do You Ever Smoke A Cheap Drug Store Tobacco?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I ventured back into Burley about 5 years ago with ABF, I soon just had to check out CH & PA again after 40+ years of not smoking them. Now I have both, but do trend toward CH by about 3-to-1! I have not worked up my courage to try SWR, 1/2 & 1/2, Granger, etc. Maybe some day!! ;) :cheers: FTRPLT

Do I smoke OTC codger Burleys? All the time! Love love love EMP, but even bulk it's not always on budget. Half&Half i find is too heavily cased for my tastes. Funny, but i never detect any "chemical" in SWR, it has a *very* mild anise(?) cocoa(?) flavor that i enjoy. PA is becoming a new favorite, polyglycol& all, i just let it dry out some.

I'll just add, SWRA isn't bad either, for an aromatic. Very lightly aro., but there, I do taste a little something "off" sometimes.

I guess my only concern with most of these is how they compare to a straight up burley like C&D Burley Ribbon Cut or even the cube cut.

I smoke PA frequently and carter hall sometimes. I like the prince better than the carter. Also both are easier to smoke on the road.

Years ago when we moved here, I was trying to smoke my plants way too soon, and learned to wait by smoking what the wife and son were loading tubes with..

Red Cap Silver.

It was OK. Nothing a bit of Perique didn't fix.....

Occasionally an associate would have a pouch of something like Borkum Riff or Captain Black. They seemed terribly sweet to me at the time, not off-putting, but not something I'd shop for.

The way I like to look at it, I have "sippin baccy" and "puffin baccy". I love taking a gentle Balkan, packing it in my briar, sitting outside in the stillness and sipping it just slow enough to keep the fires of my imagination stoked... just as much as I love packing a cobber full of CH and taking generous pulls while I go about pulling weeds or whathaveyou. Glamorous? No. But I like it :)

Well... my favourite (or better... my come back to tobacco) is Comune... the cheapest in Italy tough not so common to find.

No I don't. There are far many blends I take more enjoyment from. I have tried most OTC blends and end up in disappointment every time.
It's just a personal preference.

I'm not sure if it qualifies...but I routinely smoke a Sutliff blend called nightcap that is sold in gold pouches (usually next to the Borkum Riff). I can only find it in these stores called Smokers Express. I think you can also get it in bulk, but I have never seen it in any cigar/pipe shops.

When ever I can't make up my mine I'll revisit Prince Albert,  Carter Hall, or Walnut. Funny, I haven't enjoyed CH much in the past couple years till this last spring. Smoked a whole pouch and enjoyed every bowl! Go figure.