Do you know how much is in each tin?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wet Dottle

Reaction score
Due to several reasons, including insanity, I regularly weigh the net contents of each tin and bag of tobacco that I buy. I keep a detailed record of it all, and today I decided to summarize and share my findings with you. Most are good news.

-- The vast majority of tins and bulk packages had more tobacco that advertised.

-- European makers have the most accurate packaging, often being within a fraction of a gram from the advertised net weight. American tins are more liberally filled, often having a couple of grams above advertised net weight.

-- All the tins that had less weight than the advertised net weight were from European manufacturers. But this was a very, very small percentage of tins, and the deficit was small.

--Usually, bulk packages have more tobacco that the advertised net weight. The surplus is, in average, larger than that of tins. But there is a large variation from shop to shop.

-- On the negative side, there is a particular blender/shop whose packages were consistently below the advertised net weight. Actually, all the tobacco I bought from that blender had less than the advertised weight. Sometimes the deficit was very large, more than 50%. It is a shop/blender very dear to many in multiple news groups. I don’t want to be flamed, therefore I’m not posting its name.

-- On the positive side, in general we are getting more tobacco than we are paying for. By far, the most generous blender is Cornell and Diehl: their tins often have more than 3 grams over the advertised net weight. That’s one extra bowl in each tin! For most generous bulk baggies, the award goes to Smokingpipes.com.

Disclaimer: the above comments reflect my personal habits and experience. I have no affiliation of any kind with anybody involved in this trade. I should probably see a shrink on regular basis, but prefer to spend my money on funner things.

Wet Dottle":k9cteqmg said:
Due to several reasons, including insanity, I regularly weigh the net contents of each tin and bag of tobacco that I buy. I keep a detailed record of it all, and today I decided to summarize and share my findings with you. Most are good news.

-- The vast majority of tins and bulk packages had more tobacco that advertised.

-- European makers have the most accurate packaging, often being within a fraction of a gram from the advertised net weight. American tins are more liberally filled, often having a couple of grams above advertised net weight.

-- All the tins that had less weight than the advertised net weight were from European manufacturers. But this was a very, very small percentage of tins, and the deficit was small.

--Usually, bulk packages have more tobacco that the advertised net weight. The surplus is, in average, larger than that of tins. But there is a large variation from shop to shop.

-- On the negative side, there is a particular blender/shop whose packages were consistently below the advertised net weight. Actually, all the tobacco I bought from that blender had less than the advertised weight. Sometimes the deficit was very large, more than 50%. It is a shop/blender very dear to many in multiple news groups. I don’t want to be flamed, therefore I’m not posting its name.

-- On the positive side, in general we are getting more tobacco than we are paying for. By far, the most generous blender is Cornell and Diehl: their tins often have more than 3 grams over the advertised net weight. That’s one extra bowl in each tin! For most generous bulk baggies, the award goes to Smokingpipes.com.

Disclaimer: the above comments reflect my personal habits and experience. I have no affiliation of any kind with anybody involved in this trade. I should probably see a shrink on regular basis, but prefer to spend my money on funner things.

I agree & wonder whom it is that always cheats the weight.
I'll bet I know who she is as every single pound is always under. I like her blends but have not ordered in a year but really miss 2 of her blends but hate confrontation even more then getting cheated

I have always suspected my Ashton Artisans blend was really 49.93grams....... :lol!: :lol!:

puros_bran":1guds05h said:
I have always suspected my Ashton Artisans blend was really 49.93grams....... :lol!: :lol!:
I love Artisan's Blend. I tried it not too long ago and it is in the list for cellaring. The net weight in my tin was 49.9 g, but that is within the plus or minus 0.1 g error band of the equipment. :suspect:

jeffya2":35eqiqj5 said:

I agree & wonder whom it is that always cheats the weight.
I'll bet I know who she is as every single pound is always under. I like her blends but have not ordered in a year but really miss 2 of her blends but hate confrontation even more then getting cheated
Jeffya2, the place I am referring to only has male attendants, at least that I know of. If you are interested to know, e-mail me and I'll be happy to send you their ID. I placed two orders with them and both orders had problems. From a total of 22 baggies, not a single one met the advertised net weight. I did not call, there are too many great retailers out there...

Personal Opinion:
Contact the folks with the issue. Its just as likely their scales need calibrated as it is bad business practice.

It could also be packing issues resulting in water loss during shipping & handling.

It may even be someone that is employed there thinks close enough is close enough,even with. Co Policy stating otherwise.

Wet Dottle":sedb9l6b said:
puros_bran":sedb9l6b said:
I love Artisan's Blend. I tried it not too long ago and it is in the list for cellaring. The net weight in my tin was 49.9 g, but that is within the plus or minus 0.1 g error band of the equipment. :suspect:
That is funny however I think that we are talking about as much a 3 oz/ Pound which IMHO is not funny on about 8 different 1 lb orders