Do you need both a land line and cell phone at home?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bub

Reaction score
Since I am old school we have a land line.
However,we also like to keep up with the times and also have cell phones.
The advantage of a land line was that you could make call during a power outage.
However, our land line calls are now carried over the internet so we can't make those calls during an outage.
Now if cell phones are charged we can make calls during an outage.
Do we really need a landline today?

When the wife and I moved in 2006, she said she didn’t want another landline. About 75% of the calls we received were telemarking and such. The only down side to not having a line line is not being in the phone book. I mow a couple yards for some elderly people. And they always loose my cell number. They tell me they tried to find my number in the phone book.

No I don’t think I need a landline at all.

GeoffC":snxrlla6 said:
Have not had a landlines in 15 years. Do have a portable ham radio for bad situations
Awesome, another ham radio operator.

Dependable DSL Internet.

We also have an AT&T Microcell because the wireless coverage is so poor. Did not used to be. When it was Singular we had full signal even in the basement. So, the Microcell uses our DSL landline. Yes, we need the landline for now.

I did try wireless Internet with a local service using the Motorola system. They throttled. Service was intermittent. They had a bad router in the main office. Cheap equipment where a good Cisco system should have been. One two year contract and I was back on Landline.

We have not had a land line since 2006. Have not missed it at all. :cyclops:

Old school: land line only. Answering machine to screen the callers. Not leaving a message? Not picking up. I am sure that irritates the scammers.

A cell might come in handy for emergencies, but so far so good. (Thanks to God!)

We have both a landline and cell phones. Cell service is practically non-existent in among all the hills and ridges around here. Sometimes we can get a reasonably good signal at a certain spot in the yard, but not often. Just depends on the weather and how you hold your mouth. For now, it's both.

Dumped the landline years ago. Have two Apple IPhones. Never missed the landline after about two minutes!! :cheers: FTRPLT

My wife and I each have smart phones..Both unlimited. They work all the time..We haven't had a land line in about 20 years.

Unlimited Smart Phones all around.  Family plan for four.

No land line. (it just sat there and did nothing)

———————-

High Speed Cable Internet

Satellite TV.

No newspaper.

No milkman.

No coal wagon.

No horse manure pickup.

Indoor plumbing.

OH,  two cars...no horses. (Well, except for me.)

I have this ringing in my ears all the time. Who needs a freeking phone! Anyway, there is a land line at the house. My wife has a smart phone to keep up with the college sophomore granddaughter, and I don't give a shnit.

A timely debate for me.

Both my wife and I have sim only contracts for our iPhones, both of which have unlimited talk time. This unlimited option is now pretty much standard on most mobile phone contracts here in Blighty with data being the only real variant. This recent change has prompted me to review how we use our home phone.

As it happens I phoned British Telecom this evening to review my contract with them and as a result have been able to chop a component that gave me cheaper calls during peak times which, with the recent changes on our mobile contracts, was no longer needed. So, in terms of being able to make phone calls, my landline really is obsolete.

The landline however is also how we get our broadband and several TV channels so I'll need to tread carefully with how much I continue to chop...

Prior to selling the house we had landline and cell phones. Now that we are on the road our cell phones are the main means of communication. She has an iPhone with Verizon and I have a Moto Z with AT&T. We now have coverage for most areas in the US.