Do you reach for Pipe or Tobacco?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bentbulldog

Reaction score
Sometimes, I am in the mood for a particular blend but most of the time, I find that I reach for a pipe that I want to smoke instead of a tobacco.

It sounds a little weird, like going for the mug instead of the ale :scratch:

Though in my defence pipes are a beautiful thing to behold!

How do you fellas go about it?

Interesting question. I go for the tobacco first. The pipe is not much more than an afterthought, with allowances for the type of blend I chose. Most of my pipes are semi-dedicated, so that makes it a bit easier. Bull's Eye always gets smoked in an Edward's bent, etc.

Nope. I always pretty much have a tobacco in mind, which in turn dictates the pipe.

For me it can be either. Sometimes I just look at one of my pipes and want the tactile experience it brings, while other times I simply crave a certain blend. Since I dedicate a couple of pipes to each of my favorite blends, one dictates the other. Kind of crazy I suppose but it works for me.

Right now I'm sorting out which pipes to dedicate to P&W #515 a new blend to me and one I will be stocking up on.

Sometimes I'm just lazy and pick the pipe that's easiest to clean. ;) Tobacco selection is always the first choice (maybe because I have more blends in my rotation than pipes :).

Richard Burley":s9opviqh said:
Interesting question.  I go for the tobacco first.  The pipe is not much more than an afterthought, with allowances for the type of blend I chose. Most of my pipes are semi-dedicated, so that makes it a bit easier. Bull's Eye always gets smoked in an Edward's bent, etc.
If it's in an Edward's it's gonna be good. In my opinion they are the best manufactured pipes made. Just love some 5100 Red Cake in an Edward's Coachman. Our brother Monbla256 encouraged me to try an Edward's pipe. Best advice I've ever taken. Thanks Michael.

I always choose the tobacco then I select the pipe. :)

AJ

RobJ":aqvwuubd said:
For me it can be either. Sometimes I just look at one of my pipes and want the tactile experience it brings, while other times I simply crave a certain blend. Since I dedicate a couple of pipes to each of my favorite blends, one dictates the other. Kind of crazy I suppose but it works for me.
^This^

I'm with RobJ and JP. Normally it's the tobacco first but sometimes I just have to smoke that pipe. It's a tactile and memory thing. Most of my pipes have story with them, perhaps a significant location or person which may influence my choice.

Since I smoke the same blend bowl after bowl in multiple pipes during the day, and sometimes ONLY smoke ONE blend ALL day, it's usually the pipe that gets picked first with the 'baccy second. In years past I would at times only smoke 759 all day in as many as 6 or 7 pipes and do it again for a couple days after before I changed blend. And then only for a bowl or two before I was back to my beloved Balkan. :twisted: :twisted: I've added to my 'baccy choices since it went away but have the same pipe habit !! :twisted:

I never really thought about this. I have some pipes that I smoke on certain days of the week, and some of those dictate the blend. But other times I want a particular blend and that dictates the pipe. So I guess I do both.
Mike.

Usually I choose the tobacco first, but occasionally I really want to smoke a particular pipe.

Let's see.......I grab the pipe first and then the tobacco, only because having the tobacco in my hand will do me no good without a pipe. My 1st thought is to have a smoke and the 2nd is of what and that dictates the pipe most the time. Oh! and my 3rd thought is coffee, hot or cold?

Cartaphilus":8hkb4428 said:
Let's see.......I grab the pipe first and then the tobacco, only because having the tobacco in my hand will do me no good without a pipe. My 1st thought is to have a smoke and the 2nd is of what and that dictates the pipe most the time. Oh! and my 3rd thought is coffee, hot or cold?
I can always rely on you to put things into perspective. :lol!:

Cartaphilus":4lsfjxf0 said:
My 1st thought is to have a smoke and the 2nd is of what and that dictates the pipe most the time.
Ron - You must have a heck of a time choosing between Escudo and Escudo. ;)

RobJ":3ls7hpu4 said:
Cartaphilus":3ls7hpu4 said:
My 1st thought is to have a smoke and the 2nd is of what and that dictates the pipe most the time.
Ron - You must have a heck of a time choosing between Escudo and Escudo. ;)
Yep, It can be pretty tough at times so I'll choose a Esoterica, Germain's blend or a Lat.
I try to keep it K.I.S.S.

I usually choose my tobacco first and then my pipe. I think it is mostly because I don't have enough pipes to have any dedicated to a specific tobacco and I also haven't been smoking enough to have any memories that would make me lean towards certain pipes at certain times. Good question, very intriguing to read the answer :)

I choose the pipe first. Although I thereby decide for a certain Type of tobacco. Interesting question brother!

Wow, I've never given it much thought. For me, being an occasional piper, the mood comes upon me to sit and fondle one pipe or another. Then I choose the tobacco. I am trying to dedicate my pipes generally according to blend; prominently VA, predominantly PER or predominantly Aromatic.

Other times however, I get in the mod to have some C&D autumn evening so I have to go with a particular pipe. I guess that makes me both.

This has been an interesting thread to follow. Pipe smoking offers so many nuances to the experience.

Tobacco first, pipe next, beverage last UNLESS I am leaving the house with spouse. If I have a beater pipe or one she thinks too gnarly she will make a comment (or maybe 20 comments) until I pick one to her liking; hence, I choose pipe first utlizing some Zen method of divination, then a blend, then I need a drink.