Do you reach for Pipe or Tobacco?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aristokles":sbch9n5i said:
Tobacco first, pipe next, beverage last UNLESS I am leaving the house with spouse. If I have a beater pipe or one she thinks too gnarly she will make a comment (or maybe 20 comments) until I pick one to her liking; hence, I choose pipe first utlizing some Zen method of divination, then a blend, then I need a drink.
Not having a spouse anymore, I can really relate and laugh to this.
May some day soon they see things as we do so there'll be truly peace throughout the land. :fpalm:
Bless you sir!

Great question! I actually do both depending on the day. Sometimes I have a particular pipe in mind, other times I crave a certain tobacco. Most of the time I lean toward tobacco but occasionally a pipe will call my name. Great thread, Cheers!

I choose my tobacco first which dictates or narrows the pipe choice. I have certain pipes for every category of tobacco: latakia blends, flakes/straight virginias, perique blends and aromatics. I have enough pipes to keep a proper rotation. I admit to being a might anal. :oops:

Tobacco most of the time. About the only time I reach for a pipe first is because I do try to smoke most of my pipes at least once a month

I'm with you bulldog. I reach for the pipe first. Since I primarily use meers I don't have to worry about dedicating a pipe to a tobacco. I get pipes that are aesthetically pleasing to me so it boils down to which pipe catches my eye or which one I feel like holding. They are my mistresses without the hassle of cheating.

Teddy":33p5znjb said:
Blend ,then pipe :D
Yes Teddy. Second that. Welcome aboard! Look forward to your participation and getting to share a bowl with you - either in person or amongst friends here on the BoB.

Ohhhhh..... I guess blend then bowl vs. bowl then blend? Former 80% and latter 20%.

I am a creature of habit. The vast majority of time I pick up a pipe, it is Hal o the Wynd or FVF in a my Peterson 264. Even when I venture away from my old standby, I tend to smoke the same tobacco in the same pipe a number of times before moving on something else. Though, on occasion, I certainly have said, I really want to smoke this particular pipe, and let that dictate what tobacco I smoked.

I would say I choose the tobacco over the pipe, unlesssssssssss, traveling or working on something, then a more compact pipe is in order, and thus, dictates the blend chosen...