Do you remember your first pipe tobacco?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pipemaker

Broken Pipe
Reaction score
Mine was Model, simply because "Grandpa" next door smoked it and the aroma was wonderful. 17cents a pouch back then.

What a disappointment, it tasted bitter, and smelled nothing at all like "grandpa,s".

Second attempt was with the old Douwe Egberts Amphora and I fell in love with the pipe

Mike B
n8pq.jpg
pgn1.jpg

Captain Black - smelled nice but I knew nothing of letting tobacco dry out a bit!

Yup - CBW in a MM Cob, followed by Lane's 1-Q.

My dad smoked CBW for years, so it was a logical choice. At the B&M I went to for my first pipe, the owner suggested a MM Cob as a first pipe. Low investment, very good smokers, and very forgiving of a newbie's mistakes.

Captain Black White. Yeah, yuck! It wasn't until many years later that I discovered the Knox board that pipe smoking started going in the right direction for me.

Yup, sadly my first pipe tobacco experience was with Clan, which I ended up smoking for over 30 yrs, scary huh. :affraid: 

in my early 20's was at the local grocery store with the wife, was standing in line and in the impulse item section was a card with cobs on it, I snagged one ran back to the tobacco isle grabbed a pouch of captain black, went home jammed the pipe full of the CB and destroyed my mouth, pipe became a prop for a halloween costume, until about a year ago when I decided to give another go at it

I believe it was the God awful Mixture 79

It was back in 'Nam in '69 and my CO smoked Granger which he gave me and I staid with it when I got home for the next few years. Have moved on since then and tried some a few years back and AAAAAGH!!! :twisted:  :twisted: 

Prince Albert, and yes, it was in a can back when I was a young 13 years old. Bought a cob and that was only a test to see what it was all about. I actually enjoyed it but didn't get into serious pipe smoking until 3 years later when I discovered Amphora Brown which I still enjoy today.

Smoked my first pipe over 50 years ago. I'll never forget how excited I was. I stuffed a cheap Dr. Grabow with some Half&Half. I had always admired the room note and was eager to give it a try. It was awful. I blistered my tongue and nearly passed out from the nicotine but I thought I looked cool with a pipe stuck in my mouth so I stuck with pipe smoking for a number of years. I changed tobacco brands after about a week of torture. :roll: 

AJ

Mine was Lane 1Q that the local B&M called Gold Duke for some reason. Another B&M (now closed) opened my eyes up a year or so later to English blends (Frog Morton) and its was no turning back.

My father had tried giving up cigarettes by smoking a pipe several years before (he finally went with small cigars). So my first tries were with his old pipes and some dried up London Dock. Not a great expierence. The next year (and then the next 20), when off at college, I mostly smoked Captain Black.

I started out with an old clay pipe and 2 twists of tobacco from Crazy Crow Trading Post. I also kept a pouch of Bull Durham and rolling papers around for when I wanted a smoke when there were other people hanging around. Smoking a pipe would have gotten me beat up.

Jim

As I was getting "sold" on the whole notion of smoking pipes, my big worry was giving up the strength of a bold cigar for what I perceived to be a lighter, more bland affair. With that in mind, my tobacco pimp brought out some SG 1792 and put it in a Peterson for me to sample.

"Trust me," he said, "You'll love it."

I left with that pipe and pile of 1792, staggering to the car. The rest is history.

Uhles 255.

It was what my Pap smoked exclusively, and I figured if it was good enough for Pap it was good enough for me.

Always have some on hand for when I want to revisit. Not often, but when I do it's like going back in time.

Cheers,

RR