Do you remember your first pipe tobacco?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my case it was a Grabow and an OTC aromatic (Captain Black Cherry I would guess)...which did nothing for me. I stepped away from pipe smoking at that point, but a few years later I was reintroduced with some MacBaren Dark Twist Roll Cake in a LOTR Strider replica. Again, I wasn't thrilled (the pipe smoked hot and that baccy was bitey), but I had greater tenacity at that point and as I did with beer when at first I didn't like it, I went on a research and tasting odyssey and discovered there was indeed great enjoyment in tobacco smoking once you had the right pipe, the right tobaccos, and the right technique.

First bought was Mixture 79. First smoked was stripped out Camel cigarette tobacco and Bull Durham in a small cob.... needless to say I have moved on.
Mike

When I first started the pipe (in the days when dinosaurs roamed the earth) I smoked Borkum Riff Whisky exclusively. Then I stopped smoking for about twenty years. When I started again I found that I could not abide the taste of Borkum Riff. I started back with a burley from a B&M in Gatlinburg (oddly enough named Gatlinburly) and then went on to Squadron Leader. Now I don't have enough room to list them all.:face: 

"Sailor's Delight" from Pipes and Pleasures in Columbus, Oh (just their house name for RLP-6 or a RLP-6/1Q combo...can't really remember, now).

I liked it then, enough to smoke it more often then everything else combined for the first three or four years that I smoked a pipe. I don't do many aromatics these days, but when I do its usually some similar cavendish concoction from Lane.

It was my Dad's "Holiday Pipe Mixture", the one with the cruise ship and palm trees and one of his many pipes. I was 15. It was 1976.

Back around 1999, 2000, when I was in college I worked as an EMT (contracted to Albany Fire Dept.) and one of my supervisors smoked a pipe. He smoked a house brand burley. One day my roommate and I decided to give it a try. We went to a B&M that sold cobs and cheap basket pipes and got a few one ounce samples of blends (based solely upon the name on the jar). The first we dug into was the burley that the Sup smoked.

Local B&M "rum raisin" aro. Just exactly what it sounds like. Looking back, using a bent pipe, this was not the best combo. But, it got me interested and I know what I like now. I still have the pipe (which I opened up), but I dry all my tobacco a lot and I skip out on the lighter aros.

I read somewhere, I forgot where, that starting a piper on aros is a disservice and they don't understand the ordeal it'll cause. I tend to agree and were I to go back and tell myself how to do it, I'd have said start with a lighter English blend that smokes cool and dry.

I bought a Dr Grabow meerschaum-lined chimney (billiard) and a pouch of Borkum Riff from Winn Dixie when I turned 18. Smoked some of it. Wasn't impressed but I loved my pipe. I still use it. Took the metal stinger(?) out though.

If I'm honest my first pipe tobacco was Captain Black's as that's what my dad smoked. I was 15. And I'll even admit to still liking it. Put that in yer pipe and smoke it. ;)

It was either Sail or Mixture 79

nothing good in either case

The first I ever tried was Davidoff's blue mixture. It was my father's in fact, and being a non smoker, the smell was too good to be true. I couldn't wait to try it when my first pipe arrived.

The taste? Blunt and unsatisfying!

PA from a tin, then Borkum Riff Whiskey. Rex Bowers at the Squire's Den in Memphis introduced me to Matured VA in 1979 and I never looked back.

I think it was Sail in the blue pouch in a nice little Dr. Grabow half bent which I still have.

I don't remember my very first because it was random from a grocery store aisle.  It was cherry or peach, and I didn't get much pleasure out of it.  I smoked on hikes, and though I would bring the pipe with me, I didn't get excited about the ritual.  I got tired of it not being satisfying, so I went to our tobacconist.  My first real tobacco was Rattray's 7 Reserve, and I was hooked.  From there, I had Nightcap, 759, and Escudo in my first batch of experiences.  It was also when I picked up my first good pipe.  Until then, I'd smoked Grabows off an aisle display rack.  Glad I no longer have those pipes, but I wish I had the rack.

My first tobacco was Lane's 1Q and I had no idea I had tried it until a few months ago, mainly because it was a B&M title and I had no idea what I was buying, just whatever smelled nice.
~Ron

My first pipe was a tiny, crappy meerschaum Indian head. The tobacco was some sort of "roll your own" cigarette tobacco. It was the worst ever. I clearly had no clue what I was doing.

My first actual pipe tobacco experience was a Dr Gabrow meer lined, with some Capt Black. I smoked the hell out of that pipe. I think I gave it to a friend who I miss these days. I'm listening to Dharma Bums by Jack Kerouac and remembering my own Beat period full of cheap booze, philosophy and tobacco.