Do you remember your first pipe tobacco?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First pipe was a Comoy Golden Grain Canadian in which I smoked a custom blend that my boss/mentor/friend blended himself.  He never told anyone what he blended...and he sold it all over the US by word of mouth.  Truly an amazing tobacco from an amazing man.  It was called Kirk's Blend.  This was 1961...it was a very good year.

pepesdad1":icqo96no said:
Truly an amazing tobacco from an amazing man.  It was called Kirk's Blend.  This was 1961...it was a very good year.
The MOST AMAZING THING was that could remember that far back into history and this from the man who couldn't remember that a jar has two parts. :lol!: 

AJ

ajn27511":j5pr81dh said:
pepesdad1":j5pr81dh said:
Truly an amazing tobacco from an amazing man.  It was called Kirk's Blend.  This was 1961...it was a very good year.
The MOST AMAZING THING was that could remember that far back into history and this from the man who couldn't remember that a jar has two parts. :lol!: 

AJ
It is hard enough to remember to put on pants when I go to work, let alone worry about jar parts.  I can remember 50 years ago, but yesterday....? Now that is a challenge!

Working after school in my Dad's general store in the mid-60s, I was stocking the shelves with a $5 promotional item -- 2 pouches of Carter Hall wrapped together with a Willard pipe. A natural smooth finished billiard caught my eye and against Dad's advice, I bought it.

I still have that Willard and it's still a great smoker. Carter Hall remains a staple in my cellar as well. I buy it by the tub and smoke it straight, mixed 50/50 with John Middleton's Walnut (my "Wal-Hall") and the CH also makes a great blending tobacco, such as when a new aromatic is too goopy or an English a tad too full.

Captain Black. First Pipe? No idea but I'm sure it was something I swipped from the old mans stash thinking he would never notice.:twisted: 

Had to do a bit of thinkin' about this one. 1964 is a long time ago!!!!! At first I thought my first was Half & Half, but then I remembered.....Middleton's Cherry Blend!!! Great room note/aroma plus all the 'ladies" liked it!! Bit my tongue like a sum bitch!!! I went thru dang near every burley/aromatic/cavendish whatever known to man. Paladin's Black Cherry finally did me in; that and Mixture #79. I finally discovered English/Balkan/Oriental blends. Only recently (last two years) have I ventured (rather succesfully) back into straight Ginnyweed and Burleys. I rather enjoy PA and CH in my old age!!!!! FTRPLT

PlateauGuy":wn9zi7sb said:
1972 - Tinderbox Wilshire - still one of my favorites.
For those unaware, the Tinderbox Wilshire blend is relabeled Lane Limited 1Q.

I think it was either Sail aromatic or Mixture #79. I remember when I was a kid following a pipe smoker and asking him what he was smoking (it smelled delicious). He said he was smoking Sail. I vowed as soon as I was old enough, I would buy me a pipe and smoke me some of that stuff.

Unfortunately the first tobacco I ever tried was 1Q. It was actually a relabel of whatever they were selling in the smoke shop when we bought it. Also picked up the pipe there, which I still have.

I'd been smoking cigars for a while so I thought pipes would be okay. Little did we know about tongue bite.

I would have given up the pipe forever, but then after a hurricane, when all the businesses were closed I ran out of cigars. So I started taking the nubs from some 5Vegas Gold Nuggets and shredding them and then smoking them in the pipe. (Desperate times) This gave me a really rich beefy smoke out of the pipe that I liked, so I tried it again. This time I went to the tobacconist and asked for the strongest, stinkiest, worst pipe tobacco they had. They gave me Nightcap, Irish Flake, and some store brand perique heavy blend. The rest is history.