Do You Still Have A Sportcoat?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RSteve

Reaction score
My brother's 50th wedding anniversary is coming up this spring. His children have asked what kind of celebration to have; dressy or casual. He knows I swore off wearing anything uncomfortable when I turned 75. All seasons, I wear t-shirts, either short sleeve or long sleeve, depending on the temperature. Over the t-shirt, I wear a full zip front hoodie sweatshirt and sweatpants or joggers. I have some casual slacks and jeans, but they're not really that comfortable. My brother and I went to a funeral together and I wore a sport coat over a pair of black joggers and a mock turtleneck. My brother wore a suit and tie. When he saw what I was wearing, he "informed" me that the funeral was not at a gym. So, I guess he's asking if they decide to have a dressy anniversary party, will I show up in a t-shirt and joggers. Yes, I will, but I may wear a sport coat for a while. Brother is 80 and will be 81 at the party.

Getting ready with some more joggers.LOL

10 Pairs 32 Degrees Men’s Tech Jogger Pants for $50 at Costco.
Costco Members only. Ends 8/13. Costco has the 32 Degrees Men’s Tech Jogger Pants (black or gray) for $10. Add 10 pairs to cart (yes, 10) to reach $100 - $50 off in cart (buy 10 get $50 off promo) = $50 with free shipping for 10 pairs. Never do laundry again!

Last edited:
Actually have 3 or 4 but the only one I've worn in the last 5 years is a western corduroy. With jeans and boots of course.

After years of wearing a coat and tie everyday I've gone to shorts or carpenter's jeans and a fishing shirt in summer or a Pendleton wool in cooler months. I have my old Orvis Zambezi jacket I can throw on if it's "jacket required". I've sold off many of my suits and sports jackets but I do believe there are instances when man should wear a proper suit and tie and I've kept two for those occasions.

Last edited:
The only one I own is a colorful heavy Harris tweed that would only be appropriate for something in the winter, and this is something I think about relatively often. Funerals being the primary potential situation. I know at some point I'll need to get one, and I'm sure I'll be thinking, "If I have to buy one of these damn things, why couldn't it be something I like, like a hacking jacket or something truly late 1800s sporty and not this boring and otherwise useless piece of clothing?"

Sports coats? Yes. Dress trousers? of course. An actual suit? Nope.

Yeah, I do. But I never wear'em!!! I do have one "marryin', buryin" suit I haven't worn in years. Spring-to-winter I wear shorts, T's, and Birks/slip-on shoes/sandals. Colder WX, I switch to sweats, sweaters, pullovers, and hoodies!! FTRPLT

I have a little dissertation on the slide into casual dress as it relates to the decline of civilization, but it doesn't sound like this is the proper venue for it :D .

I did save 2 of my dress suits. One dark for funerals, a lighter gray for weddings or special occasions. Haven't worn either in several years but prepared should the need arise as I do believe there are times when called for.

I have a pricey Oxxford navy pinstripe suit that I had made for me 25 years ago. The style is timeless, 3-button, medium lapel, flat front pants. The suit coat fits great unbuttoned, but the waist on the pants seems to have shrunk a couple to three inches. Keep in mind, I retired 21 years ago last July.

Living & lecturing in Scotland, standard uniform around the university is at least a sport coat.
Things are a bit more formal here.
Sports coats…too many
Dress Trousers..yup
Ties…a plenty
Suits….1/2 dozen
Oh and kilts for formal occasions.

I have a pricey Oxxford navy pinstripe suit that I had made for me 25 years ago. The style is timeless, 3-button, medium lapel, flat front pants. The suit coat fits great unbuttoned, but the waist on the pants seems to have shrunk a couple to three inches. Keep in mind, I retired 21 years ago last July.
I feel your pain. Back when I worked out a lot and had a 52" chest and 35" waist I had a heck of a time buying suits that fit for work. Discovered a brand, Evan Picone, that made an athletic cut suit. They were offered in an up to 12" drop, so a 50 long suit could be had with 38" waist. I had a great tailor/seamstress that would take 1&1/2" from the waist and 1/2" from both side seams so the back pockets didn't touch. They fit great. Had 3 of them. But 5 years after I retired around, around 2014, I could no longer fit into the pants having grown to a 37 waist. So gave them to the viet nam vets organization for their store in Sherman Oaks where the offered them to returning vets for free. At least someone could still get good use from them.

Ties…a plenty

Indeed! I used to have to have a real tie fetish, and especially couldn't pass on a tie in a sporting motif - shooting, fishing, golf (back when I used to play a lot), boating, riding, et. al. So even though the suits and jackets are gradually disappearing, the ties are still there. I won't bore you with the whole array...

h71vDpXl.jpg

81wBRllh.jpg

but this one might be appropriate...

Y3u0h39l.jpg

Last edited:
Got rid of my one and only sport coat when I retired, along with dress slacks and a few ties. Got rid of a suit a few years before that. I had no reason to wear any of those for too many years so why keep them? And now if a need comes up, I can visit any one of 6 secondhand stores a few minutes from me and buy something for pennies on the dollar. In fact I've bought many items there and most have been like new.

Cheers,

RR

Got rid of my one and only sport coat when I retired, along with dress slacks and a few ties. Got rid of a suit a few years before that. I had no reason to wear any of those for too many years so why keep them? And now if a need comes up, I can visit any one of 6 secondhand stores a few minutes from me and buy something for pennies on the dollar. In fact I've bought many items there and most have been like new.

Cheers,

RR
So true. Back in the midwest there was a thrift shop run by the Jewish League called the Hadassah Bargain Box. Bought a western Marlboro man style leather coat with sheepskin liner, easily a $300+ coat for $25.

Cheers,

RR
Nothing wrong with the thrift shop but with my luck if I needed something they'd all be 36 short or 58 long.

Tee shirts and shorts. Maybe bibs. I will reluctantly wear nice pants and a sport shirt, if I have to. (Threatened by the wife) Fat people do not look good in those fancy outfits.

Tee shirts and shorts. Maybe bibs. I will reluctantly wear nice pants and a sport shirt, if I have to. (Threatened by the wife) Fat people do not look good in those fancy outfits.
Hey, stop that "fat" talk!!! I resemble that remark!!!!!!!! FTRPLT

Hey, stop that "fat" talk!!! FTRPLT
In 1967, when I went into the army, I was a 147 lb. welterweight. Now, at 177 lbs., I'm a Light Heavyweight.
I'd be happy at the average of the two, 162 lbs.