Do you take the flu shot?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TallSmoke

Reaction score
With flu season just around the corner, just curious if anyone has an opinion on the flu shot.

I've actually been bad about it the last few years, but when I worked at a public high school, it was the prudent choice, even with the coldlike side-effects.

No bro......... it makes me feel sh*t for weeks. Rather get the flu for 4 days and get it over with!!!
we are near the end of winter now and I have been ok this year, besides a mild head cold!

The one time in my life I got the flu shot I got the flu, (no, I'm not claiming it had anything to do with the shot), according to my doctor they predicted what strain was coming and geared up toward it. They missed their guess. I would have gotten ill (like a vast majority of my coworkers) with or without the shot. I think it's a great idea for people with weak immune systems, or employees working closely with the public, however I'll pass for a number of reasons.

Nope. It's for old people. I'm not going to get old.

Neither my wife or myself took a bird flu shot on the consul of our doctor who said we didn't need it. The regular flu shot ? Yeah, we got that

I haven't gotten the flu shot in at least 8 years, and I can't remember the last time I had a bad flu. Maybe in elementary school. I did get what might have been a mild dose of swine flu last year, but all it was was a mild fever for a week or so. Nothing some plain advil didn't take care of.

Haven't taken it in a very long time. I can't actually remember the last time I took one. I guess I just don't worry about it. If I get it I get it, get over it, and move on. :lol:

I never take them simply for my belief that the influenza virus mutates so rapidly that the flu shot you take will be for a different strain you'll encounter in 6 months.

The one time I got it, I got walking pneumonia. I had just moved into my first apartment and was living by myself. I seriously thought I was going to die one night, it took me at least a month to recover from that.

I don't get the shot. I get the flu from time to time, but that is what sicktime is for.

My doctor recommends that I get it because I travel so much and if I am in for a checkup at the right (wrong?) time of year she sticks me with it pretty much without my say-so. A lady doctor is too much like a second wife. I have never had any side effects from it and don't get one voluntarily, and I have only had one bad flu in the past 10 years or so.

I don't want my immune system to get too lazy. Besides, I'm 35 and relatively healthy. If I get the flu, I get the flu. It happens only very rarely. But it shouldn't be life threatening for me. Not worth the effort to get it. They offered it in my office once, many years ago. Since it was right there, and it was free, I did it. I didn't get sick that year, or any other year except 1. Even then, I think it was more stomach virus than flu.

-Andrew

mark":gu2lmfzo said:
The one time in my life I got the flu shot I got the flu, (no, I'm not claiming it had anything to do with the shot), according to my doctor they predicted what strain was coming and geared up toward it. They missed their guess. I would have gotten ill (like a vast majority of my coworkers) with or without the shot. I think it's a great idea for people with weak immune systems, or employees working closely with the public, however I'll pass for a number of reasons.
You're right in that it probably had nothing to do with the shot. The flue vaccine being prepared for this fall is based upon the three or four most widespread/virulent strains they're experiencing in the Southern Hemisphere over the past few months (just as their vaccine next year will be based upon our experiences in the Northern Hemisphere in the coming months). While they're pretty good at guessing the major flue strains that will migrate to the next winter, there are hundreds of flue strains around all the time. So any of us can get a strain of flue that the vaccine was not designed to prevent.

I get one every year because my wife is a nurse and in charge of immunizing a major Childrens Hospital in our area, so if it's good enough for several thousand doctors and staff and thousands more children, I guess it's good enough for me?

Natch

I get it at work every year. However, every time I get it, I end up with a case of strep throat a couple of days after and I have to take a "Z-Pac". I don't know anyone else who has that as a side effect........

I work in a hospital so I get it more to protect my immune compromised patients than for myself.

I don't take medications or get shots unless it's absolutely necessary. Haven't taken any meds or gone to the doctor for a few years. I'm a firm believer that preventing illness is a lot easier than treating it.

Cheers!