Does anyone else Hammock Camp in the Winter?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewdude":9rtrmi36 said:
Ozark Wizard":9rtrmi36 said:
Wow! Those are very cool. Alas, my camping days are long over though - but would've jumped on this back in the day.

8)

Cheers,

RR
What!  You're younger than I by a couple years and I still do two-week solo backpacking treks when ever She Who Must Be Obeyed lets me off the chain.  

I've done a fair amount of winter packing in the past, even into the Porkies, as GMF mentioned.  I can't X-country ski, but am pretty good on snow shoes.  My skiing friends would lay down the track and I trudge along behind pulling my pulk.  Unless the terrain was too steep, I could pull 120 lbs easier than pack 40 lbs.  

However, I've yet to hammock camp in winter, but have done some in summer.  I see from your pix that you've got an outside insulator bag below the hammock.  That's the first mistake people make in cold weather, crushing the dead air insulation between their bodies and the hammock.

Natch

I just noticed that your picture is at Lake of the Clouds overlook. I've been packing the Porkies since 1974, and my uncle and grandpa took me over there when I was a kid in the late 50's. Born in Ontonagon, I still make it up there for at least two weeks every fall. Spring, I prefer Isle Royal, first boat of the year which is usually around the first Saturday in May. With normal weather, you can be on the Isle for two weeks, watch the snow melt and the forest come to life, and get off just as the black-flies and skeeters are hatching. Spring comes about two weeks earlier in the Porkies, so I avoid all of May and June if I can.

If you're up there anytime in the second half of September or early October, perhaps we'll run into each other.

Natch

GMF & ZM,

I just noticed that your picture is at Lake of the Clouds overlook, and you mentioned the Isle.  I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I've been packing the Porkies since 1974, and my uncle and grandpa took me over there when I was a kid in the late 50's.  Born in Ontonagon, I still make it up there for at least two weeks every fall.  Spring, I prefer Isle Royal, first boat of the year which is usually around the first Saturday in May.  With normal weather, you can be on the Isle for two weeks, watch the snow melt and the forest come to life, and get off just as the black-flies and skeeters are hatching.  Spring comes about two weeks earlier in the Porkies, so I avoid all of May and June if I can.  

If you haven't seen the recent report on the crashing (now extinct) wolve population in the Isle, here's the link.
https://www.nps.gov/isro/learn/news/nps-notice-of-availability-of-final-isle-royale-environmental-impact-statement-to-address-the-presence-of-wolves.htm

If you're up in the Porkies anytime in the second half of September or early October, perhaps we'll run into each other.  I might even tell you which spring I keep a cold six pack in!

Natch