Does anyone else LIKE the P-lip?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
puros_bran":gctuy90j said:
The trick is to shove that little helmet deep and hold the bottom with your tongue.  Just watch your teeth, don't want to nick up the shaft.
...so, taking out any bridgework/dentures is probably a good idea? :snerk:

8)

OK, as if I haven't had enough to say on the topic of P-lips recently, let me wade in with my 2c worth:

For me the P-lip is a great clencher, though I don't clench much except while driving.

The down side for me is that at my clench spot, as it were, the relatively narrow, upward facing smoke hole tends to really concentrate the smoke on a small area of the roof of my mouth, leaving a tender spot. Hence my mod referred to on previous post.

Generally, I think it is all down to the fact that, apart from simple personal preference, we all have unique 'dental landscapes' and mouths. So in terms of clench comfort and/or smoke direction/draw it works for some, not for others.

I may just mention that one of the members of our pipe club here in sunny (at the moment) Cape Town is a medical doctor, and he has also raised a question regarding the desirability of concentrated smoke in one spot from an oral health point of view.

Well there's my 2c (and change).

M

I have a tankard with the p-lip and enjoy it. It's nice to have something directed away from your tongue once in a while.

CapeMayBen":ywzmabpz said:
I have a tankard with the p-lip and enjoy it.  It's nice to have something directed away from your tongue once in a while.
The Tankards are great for quick smokes or strong flakes. There's something to be said about a small pipe, P-lip or not.

DrumsAndBeer":kcvbl7wb said:
There's something to be said about a small pipe, P-lip or not.
As much as PeeB could have a field day with this on the side, I've been grokking this for a while. Many seem to be interested in sledgehammers made of briar with coffee-cup sized chambers built into them. :lol: Rich, real tobacco in small amounts can easily give a two hour smoke just barely smoldering--truly old-school. Patience and efficiency. :heart:

Might trade a guy here in Reno for one of those Pete Tankards. He hates it because it's too small and he can't stuff half a tin of Captain Black in it.

8)

No idea how you guys post in previous comments, but, at the risk of going off-topic, Kyle said:

"Rich, real tobacco in small amounts can easily give a two hour smoke just barely smoldering--truly old-school. Patience and efficiency"

Couldn't agree more. My Pre Rep Pete is a tiny bowled apple, I guess group 1. Last Saturday I had some business to conclude and the place only opened at 9am. I was ready to roll at 8:15, but thought I'd have a quick smoke in the Pete. Filled it with Erinmore Flake (don't know if it fits the bill for rich, real tobacco, but let's not go there, Kyle). fired it up and slowly sipped myself into flake heaven.

I was astounded when my wife came to tell me it was 9am and I had to leave. And I smoked that sucker all the way there and all the way back.

So there.

M

Yep. I get a little over an hour, a hour and a half if I take my time, on a folded flake of ODF in that Pete Tankard. Kyle & Puffer Mark, couldn't agree more.

Puffer Mark":ys1keh7m said:
No idea how you guys post in previous comments
^
|
|
|__________________ You mean like that?

On each post, in the upper right-hand corner, there's a button titled "quote" which takes the content of that post, and makes it into a white text-bubble (seen as {quote}{/quote} in BB code). If you type below that quote format, your response will be seen below. It's quite helpful when a specific thought, note or tirade needs personal attention on the board. :heart:

8)

Kyle Weiss":o4d2hcs5 said:
Puffer Mark":o4d2hcs5 said:
No idea how you guys post in previous comments
^
|
|
|__________________   You mean like that?  

You can also delete within the comment ask long as you keep the [ quote="Kyle Weiss"] at the front and the [ /quote] on the back intact.

If you are real mischievous you can even make them say something they didn't.  

Kyle Weiss":o4d2hcs5 said:
puros_bran is my hero, I hope to be just like him when I grow up.  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:  

Kyle Weiss":pm01dtlr said:
puros_bran is my hero, I hope to be just like him when I grow up.  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:  

There's two chances of either of you two growing up,,slim and none. :p

puros_bran":z6rcg137 said:
I guess they are okay once you get past sliding that bastion of phallic imagery between your lips.
DOUBLE SNERK!!!!! They make no diff to me and I own v13 of them. MIKE

I have a 606 that had a p lip. It was very comfortable in the teeth, however it burned the side of the roof of my mouth. So, I chopped it off. Smokes fine now.

Jevverrett":9z10lcdu said:
I have a 606 that had a p lip. It was very comfortable in the teeth, however it burned the side of the roof of my mouth. So, I chopped it off. Smokes fine now.
:lol!:  I like that direct approach. If thy p lip offends thee, chop it off :afro:

mark":n47drsig said:
There's two chances of either of you two growing up,,slim and none. :p  
This is true. I still got him to stick the pink stick in his mouth.

We're more alike than folks know. :heart:

:lol:

8)

It's all the rage now, the ladies love it. You just snip the tip haha (Rabbi Tuckman, men in tights)

I don't mind a P-lip on a System pipe, as a pipe cleaner is useless even with a fishtail.
These are somewhat heavy pipes so I don't clench them either.

I have two Peterson P-lips that smoke well, but are a hassle to get a pipe cleaner through. The two Savs I have (one I traded with Kyle for, I think?) seem to allow a pipe cleaner to move up and through from below with a little rotating.

As to how the smoke enters the mouth, it doesn't seem to make a difference to me, lacking both taste (literally and figuratively) and sensitivity.

Natch