Does anyone remember George Dibos?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bub

Reaction score
He was an active member of the BOB
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QVh07e63LRA" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen ></iframe>

George has a habit of drifting in and out of various pipe forums. He's the man when it comes to pipe stems, there's no one better (in the world?).

Yo.  :D

I indeed drift in and out of forums.  The primary reason being the arrival of one (or several) massively enthusiastic "carpet bombers" who post 15-20, even 30 (!) times a day, derailing existing conversations and digging up dead horse threads by the dozen.  The din goes on for months, sometimes a year or two, then they disappear.

How long the quiet lasts varies.  But another CB Crew invariably shows up and the cycle repeats.

They aren't "bad" people, it's just human nature doing its thing with a "convection style" hobby---people are constantly losing interest in pipes at the same time others are discovering them---but the conversational bus being steered by a never ending supply of newbies can definitely be frustrating to us Oldsters who started on boards before the World Wide Web even existed (it was called Usenet).

Ahhh...  Such is the digital life, right?    :twisted:

The limitations of written communication are also a Forum Problem.

Example:

Word-Emphasis-Changes-Meaning.png

The only response to that is either excessive/oppressive moderation Melvin Board-style, or let the fires start and hope not too many people are lost.

In short, like shopping malls, threaded forums became victims of their own fundamentally flawed design.  

You guys seem to have found your way to an extended period of intelligent, informed, good-humored conversation, though---a quiet park with a pond, some picnic tables, and shade trees---so I thought I'd check back in.

Besides, the world will soon be ending with Coronazilla on the rampage.  Just check the news.  Those guys never lie or exaggerate.

LL":wh7jlha4 said:
Besides, the world will soon be ending with Coronazilla on the rampage.  Just check the news.  Those guys never lie or exaggerate.
Never. Nor would those guys use it to their personal advantage. :pirate:

Great to see you, LL. It's been a long time. I do miss a lot of the old-timers that were here when I joined up. Just like I had a ham radio Elmer you OT’s were my pipe smoking Elmer

I just noticed this thread and popped in to say hey George, 3 mths too late. Your comment about that certain heavily moderated/oppressive forum made me legit laugh out loud. When I started getting into pipes in 2009, that forum you speak of was the first one I ever got into. I lasted a week, as it would take 2-3 days for my posts to be approved, and roughly 50% of them were not approved for absolutely no reason. I couldn’t take it anymore, and not too long afterwards found BoB. I have also been a bit of a vagabond over the years with the forums, but there’s still so many good folks on here and I need to check in more often. Hope all is well with you and all BoB’ers as well!

-Scott