Does anyone smoke an Artison pipe like thia

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would smoke the heck out of it.  I don't discriminate.  I'd smoke it just about any time, and any place, and if it proved to be a good smoker, I'd smoke it even MORE.

I personally am not a fan of this particular shape, so I'd likely never own it in the first place.  On another note, I've got quite a few unique, artisan pipes, and all of them get smoked regularly.

Different strokes for different folks, and all that jazz.  Just putting in my $.02.

Not my cup of tea old bean. Interesting from an expressionism perspective but I would have to have lost my marbles to smoke a pipe like that. I guess I'm one for the classics and tradition. Not knocking anyone who'd have it gracing their pipe rack, it's just not for me.

Interesting as a Briar sculpture, and I've seen others that are in this general style. I admire the creativity and execution, but it's not a piece I'd own even if I could afford it.

And even if I could afford it I'd be hard pressed to smoke it as it would be best as an unsmoked showpiece item.

Cheers,

RR

I don't have any pipes like that but I have to say if it showed up on my doorstep needing a home I would certainly smoke it. I much prefer the classics but I'm sure with the right tobacco it would smoke just as well as any pipe I own. Would I feel self conscious smoking it in public yes yes I would. I would smoke it in public though because it would get people talking. Perhaps even encourage someone to take up the pipe. Just my opinion.

Jim

Looks like a pipe a lot of work went into. Probably out of my price range. But sure, I'd smoke the sh!t out of it, and in front of mixed company just to show it off.

Why not?

That's not a clencher, so how would you hold it if you did want to smoke it? The end projection? Seems as though that would get old fast. Looks like a pending rack queen, assuming a rack that could hold it. Love how the bowl is coated, anticipating many happy smokes. :lol:

I wouldn't buy it, but I'd smoke the dickens out of it if it somehow came into my possession. I lost my affinity for Freehand style pipes way back in the 1970s.

There are a lot of "design oriented" pipes that are more statement pieces than anything. The thing that has always amazed me was that they commonly sell very quickly. I'm not necessarily talking about the more outlandish ones like this example, either. Pipes and carvers that are clearly working on the more arty end of the spectrum and at high prices. Some are very interesting and beautiful, yet I have no idea who would want to buy them, let alone smoke them. They probably aren't being smoked. That's my assumption, wrong or right.

Too “designy” for me. You’ve heard the comment that the pipe is what remains after the excess wood has been removed? By that standard this particular example is a work in progress.

I would smoke it if I owned it, as long as it smoked well, and knowing its pedigree it probably does. However, I would never buy a pipe that was shaped to look like that. :suspect:

I don't even get why anyone would want one of those 90° Ser Jacopos.

Among other qualities, for a pipe to join my rack it must have beautiful unbroken lines and must be comfortable in the hand and in the mouth. So, I would not chose this one.

denholrl":z2j3kftl said:
Among other qualities, for a pipe to join my rack it must have beautiful unbroken lines and must be comfortable in the hand and in the mouth.  So, I would not chose this one.
It would also not fit most racks.

About that pipe, I would apply an old saying that I heard long ago that applies to many things: Just because you can doesn't mean you should.